1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE BEFORE??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by realsis, Apr 20, 2016.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    My 9 day old Barred Rock chick flew into my lap with about 5 of her sisters. I had a dress on and she sat in the middle. Here is where it gets crazy, SHE STARTED TAKING A DUST BATH IN MY LAP!!! Kicking her little legs out stretching her wings Simi rolling!! I watched in complete AMAZEMENT! Has anyone ever heard of a chick dustbathing on A PERSON?? I guess she felt comfy and wanted to dust bath?? Anyone ever experienced this with their 9 day old??

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Awwww...nope, new one to me!

3. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    That's a new one to me too! I've never even heard of that happening to anyone either! I guess she felt really comfortable with me! Or she thought my lap was dirt?

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

What you describe is normal chick behavior, they will do it wherever they feel comfortable and when they get the urge...

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    MeepBeep nailed it! Your chicks adore you and feel as comfortable in your lap as you would curled up in your favorite quilt. Whatever you're doing with your chicks, keep it up! You'll have terrific pet chickens.

6. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California

Thank you so much! What's amazing is its really just my girls, nothing I've done. From day 1 they were Amazing! They have been the friendliest chicks I've ever had! I feel so blessed! Out of the 10 chicks I have 6 are extremely friendly all barred rocks and 1 wyannadotte. They all cuddle, fly into my lap and are super cuddlers! The other 4 are shy 1 Golden Buff and 3 shy barred rocks. I feel so lucky to get such exceptional chicks! :)

7. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Umm, how long has it been since you washed that dress? [​IMG]
    Just file it under "Chickens Are Weird" [​IMG]

8. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California

LOL. Yeah I know huh! I don't know if it's a compliment or uh, insult. Ha-ha. I soon discovered it's just something this little chick likes to do in my lap. Take a dust bath on mom. Go figure!

9. RooBeeC

RooBeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Sounds Cute!

10. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Adorable!

Maybe they want to take a dust bath [​IMG] Mommieeee, where is my dust bath?

Actually, might be good idea to give them one! She sounds like she might be a little itchy! I mean, how ELSE are they going to tell you what they want?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by