Has your egg production dropped?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Country Guy John, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I live in South Carolina and our temperatures have been in the mid to high 90's with the heat index in the low 100's. I would like for you to share if you have noticed a drop in your egg production. My chickens continue to have clean water, laying pellets, and nothing else has changed in their environment. Please share your experience.

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Yes, egg production has dropped. The heat has been terrible here in VA. Record highs, miserable humidity. It's stressful for them, and it's natural for egg production to slow down a bit.

3. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Quote:I'll just follow you around and nod. [​IMG]

4. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Same thing up here in central PA. Worst part for me is I've got 4 that are laying age and I'm getting about 2 eggs a day, and 40 or so waiting to start laying

5. neuchicontheblock

neuchicontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    I agree. Cooler today and I got close to normal production. Been miserable in CT.

6. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    yep it has been in the 90s here in Indiana and we notice

7. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Actually, egg production here is stable or on the rise. In the Spring I was getting around 7 dozen a week, yesterday (1 Week) 1 had 9 dozen from 20 hens.

But they are going through water like there is a river here (there isn't). I can give them fresh water at 5:00 PM and by 700PM they are out. Temp's at 100 here with high humidity for the past week or two. The more I change out their water the more eggs I get. I'm getting way to many eggs. I'm starting to get worried they are over doing it and not taking a break.

They'll probably all stop at once and leave me high and dry with not an egg in sight any time now.

8. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    do they do that I got a buff orp hen from someone, when it was already getting hot here ... florida... and shes been giving me 5 eggs a week she usually has a schedule of 2 eggs, 1 day off , 2 eggs and so on she has had 2 days off this week then gave me 3 eggs, not expecting an egg today, but I am tomorrow, I guess some birds do better in the heat then others, going to go look at the breed chart again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by