Has your mallard flown away?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tia Z., Jul 28, 2010.

1. Tia Z.

Tia Z. Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    Chico
    I'm coming to terms (slowly) that my mallard drake is gone. Only thing is I don't see any sign of struggle. Is it normal for the male mallards to fly away? I should preface that by saying this duck was very attached to me and was more like a dog than a duck. It's been missing since this morning. Should I hold out any hope of its return or come to terms with the fact that I lost my favorite duck?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I had a male and a female last year that I raised from babies and they both flew away. I imagine that's what he did [​IMG]

3. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    mallards are migratory birds if you dont want them to fly away you have to clip there wings i had a pair a long time ago that flew away and returned a few yrs in a row but never let me get lose to them(it may have just been random wild mallards landing on my pond)

4. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    I had two mallards last year that i loved very much, and they flew away around labor day. I was heartbroken, that's why I decided to get Cayugas because they are a heavier bird. I also don't like to have my ducks in a cage, I enjoy free ranging, and I don't want to clip their wings either.

5. noriko

noriko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    I had 6 Mallards(2 drakes & 4 ducks) and they've never flew away. They found our swimming pool when they started flying....... They were even on the ice of our swimming pool last winter and doing ice skating. I didn't clip their feather but they decided to stay. They were so sweet and friendly but we couldn't keep them because this is our swimming pool, not theirs(They had a kiddy pool too but of course, they like bigger one better lol) So I gave them to our friends who has a big pond. I always gave them a lot of treat...like peas, lettus, cucumbers, tomatos so they loved me. By the way, after they left....it took sooo long for us to clean our swimming pool. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Most hatchery bred mallards are far enough removed from the wild stock that they stay around; however, if they have access to a large body of water and exposure to wild mallards- all bets are off. It is not unusual for human reared wild mallards and Canada geese to fly away in the autumn and return in the spring. If you have other ducks, he may return. If not, he may just be seeking companionship. Maybe he'll return with a girlfriend.[​IMG]

7. Tia Z.

Tia Z. Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    Chico
    This was a wild mallard rescued from the city pond after its mother was killed. Maybe even though it was hand raised since it was 2-3 days old, it still as very strong instincts. I do have other ducks but odd numbers so it didn't have a mate. Since it was a rescue I couldn't help but pamper him, he slept inside...sigh. We do have a pond for it but it is smallish, it hasn't attracted other neighborhood ducks or anything. I hope he comes back someday, I sure miss him, it's very quiet around here these days since my other ducks or muscovies.

8. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I started with 6 mallard ducklings. Raised them by hand and at 3 months, 3 of them took off ( one male and two females--- flew in different directions) never to return, the other 3 are happy as clams staying here. Go figure. Maybe that's why the phrase "wild duck".

You can read about them on my website.

9. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Mine won't leave, and the only time I see them is when it is time for dinner. There somewhere in or around the pond.

[​IMG]

A hen on her nest.

[​IMG]

edited for wrong picture

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  10. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    Yep, one flew away and is currently living down the street in our uncle's backyard. He calls her "quack" and she follows him all over the place and talks to him while he does yardwork. It's really quite cute. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by