Hasn't eaten for 24hrs, drinking plenty, following extreme storm and snow

jodievaughan

Songster
5 Years
Dec 29, 2016
I'm wondering if anyone could help me on what the cause of this could be. My hen Alice hasn't eaten for the past 24 hours but is drinking plenty of water. Her crop has water in, and doesn't feel overly full. All of my hens are isolated and have been for some time in response to the spread of avian influenza here so I don't believe it's that. I'm wondering if the sudden, extreme weather we've had here in northern England because of Storm Arwen might have made her unwell. I'm going to check her crop tomorrow morning to see if it empties in case it's sour crop, but up to now sour crop doesn't seem to be the issue - I hear/feel no gas in there and I've had a hen with sour crop before, and her crop doesn't feel that way, it does just feel like there's only water in there.

Could it be the extreme weather? I'd appreciate anyone's insight/advice!

I'm wondering if anyone could help me on what the cause of this could be. My hen Alice hasn't eaten for the past 24 hours but is drinking plenty of water. Her crop has water in, and doesn't feel overly full. All of my hens are isolated and have been for some time in response to the spread of avian influenza here so I don't believe it's that. I'm wondering if the sudden, extreme weather we've had here in northern England because of Storm Arwen might have made her unwell. I'm going to check her crop tomorrow morning to see if it empties in case it's sour crop, but up to now sour crop doesn't seem to be the issue - I hear/feel no gas in there and I've had a hen with sour crop before, and her crop doesn't feel that way, it does just feel like there's only water in there.

Could it be the extreme weather? I'd appreciate anyone's insight/advice!
Could she be in shock?

Could she be in shock?
Potentially, I don't know very much about how shock can effect the digestive system but maybe! What I can say is that her crop had not emptied this morning, so she might've developed sour crop. I've gotten hold of a Nystatin with an antibiotic in it from the vets so hopefully that'll help her. Does anyone have recommendations for what else I could do for her? I've heard about molasses flushes for this kind of thing but have never tried it and am not sure at what point it's appropriate. I'd appreciate any help

Back
Top Bottom