hasn't laid in over 3 months!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chkinut, Feb 2, 2011.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    my SCM girl moulted a long time ago. she hasn't laid since mid October! she has a very red face so i would think she would be laying by now??! i've looked everywhere for her eggs just in case she's laying somewhere other than the nesting boxes.....no eggs anywhere! and i don't think she's eating them cuz i can collect other eggs from the other chickens....if she were eating them, wouldn't she eat the others eggs too? and besides, there's not a shred of evidence in the nest boxes of egg eating....no evidence on her beak either. is this normal to go THIS long without laying??? she is done with her moult...she moulted months ago.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I'm with you on the egg thing. Mine had just started laying and then winter hit. Lots of people have said it has been the worst for eggs they've seen. I started out putting lights out there, but really it didn't help much and finally just let nature take its course. We get an occasional 'surprise' egg, but believe me, it's a surprise. And now with this new winter storm....AAAACK...I am so sick of winter!

deb g
    KY

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Mine had a heavy molt this time- it was 4 months or so, now I'm finally getting some eggs again. Some will take longer to "reboot", just keep watching her. [​IMG]

4. 44Wolves

44Wolves Here is Your New Title

Jun 28, 2009
    My Hens aren't laying either [​IMG]

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I hadn't had an egg since August until two days ago.

One of my FBCM pullets finally started. Of course I did break it when I kicked it off the patio thinking it was a rock! [​IMG]

Haven't seen another one yet, but the girls were checking out the nest boxes yesterday so [​IMG]

Mine started moulting in July and didn't stop until September. I have a 1/2 acre backyard and racked every day cause it kept looking like a huge pillow fight had gone on.

I guess it's good they had a long rest because I'm threatening them daily about pot pie, so I'm sure they'll finally start putting them out.

6. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    fewer eggs this winter then last. they did go through a heave molt in Sept. a couple weeks ago we started to get 6 a day out of 20 hens. I started putting light vitamins in their water don't know if that did the trick or just time to start up again. either way I am happy to have eggs again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by