1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hasnt laid since first molt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brianm97, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    i have 4 hens and 2 pullets. one of my 2 rirs we call her the boy hasnt laid since the first real molt last winter. she isnt clogged or anything and she has gotten quite mean. she flogs you when you try to pick her up and will peck at your toes if you are barefoot. i am ok with the meanness because there are no small children near and i put her in her/his place when she does. what do you think is wrong with her i used to get my second largest egg from her one a day too. she is 2 now. also i know this is in the wrong section but how should i introduce the pullets they are still a little smaller than the others but they are semi big. when i try to they will jump off the roost and sleep on the ground or in the nest box and during the day they are chased by the big ones and they go hide. i know it is bad to do this but i have been just leaving the coop open 24/7 so they can escape if they need to because when i didnt do that they both almost got killed by the hens. the go in the coop when the other ones are in there. the rirs and the wl are the two meanest to them. one time the neigbors chickens witch are huge came over and the white leghorn attacked them and chased them off. that was only one time and i brought them back to the neighbor so i dont contaminate the hens i have

2. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    bump

3. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    did i do somthing wrong or somthing? it seems like im the only one not getting an answer

4. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    bump

5. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    I was hoping for an answer too, as I also have a 'mooch' EE sho hasn't layed an egg yet this year. She is also 1.5 yr old.

As for integrating the pullets with the older girls: sounds like your doing good, giving them lots of space to get away from the meaner older gals. You could always separate the meanest one and keep her alone for several days, the flock will readjust the pecking order and when she comes back she won't be the top hen anymore, and hopefully nicer.

6. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    i hope so there are 2 that are really mean so i may just have to do that the little ees sleep on top of the coop in a small cage

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by