hasn't layed an egg in over 3 months and has red rump and plucked feat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suny chickys, May 13, 2010.

1. suny chickys

suny chickys New Egg

May 13, 2010
    [​IMG]My 2 year old barred rock hen stopped laying eggs over 4 months ago and has plucked out her rump feathers....it's also very red and looks irritated arround her rump. What's wrong with her?

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    My Delaware looks like that also, except she has more feathers missing. I took her out of the coops and brought her into the garage and she has been there month and a half to 2 months. She has laid several eggs but not sure what the problem is. I have been giving her antibiotics and her feathers have not grown back and her rump is not hard but not soft. It is harder than I think it should be.

Sorry I can't help but hopefully someone will have some advice on what is going on.

3. suny chickys

suny chickys New Egg

May 13, 2010
    Oh, I forgot to add, I read on another post that garlic can help if it's a fungal infection, so I did start to give her garlic. At first she didn't want it, then she sarted eating some that I soaked in water first. After about 2 weeks of that, she started laying 1 yokeless egg a week for the past 3 weeks. She's back to not eating the garlic. Help?!

4. dawnchick

dawnchick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Mites and/or lice are a possibility; you can buy poultry dust for this. It is also possible that others are doing this to her.

5. suny chickys

suny chickys New Egg

May 13, 2010
    My other 3 hens aren't having any issues with mites or lice, wouldn't that be shared amoung the coop? They are all healthy and not showing any plucked feathers. This girl is 2nd in command, so I doubt she's being plucked by another hen.

6. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    suny chickys - [​IMG]

[​IMG] for your hen.

Hope you can find some answers.

7. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Several of our hens look just like this. They are plucking each other's feathers.

8. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I have a one year old BR that also has a bold spot exactly where your hens is. She has no problems though and lays well.

9. suny chickys

suny chickys New Egg

May 13, 2010
    Any thoughts on the tiny yolkless eggs?

10. suny chickys

suny chickys New Egg

May 13, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Here's a picture of her tiny "yolkless" eggs. She's given me 3 in the past 2 weeks, but that's all she's done. She used to lay everyday, nice big eggs. What would be wrong with her?

Last edited: May 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by