1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hat is the best way to take off rooster spurs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GoldenSparrow, Nov 29, 2011.

1. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    what is the best way to take off roosters spurs?
    I was think the potato method?
    what is the best way for the birds sake.
    and these are very big spurs.

Thanks

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not sure why you want to remove his spurs. It could be to stop damage to the hens of because the spurs are so long he has trouble walking. When I do it, I'm trying to stop damage to the hens.

There are different methods. I prefer the Dremel tool with the discs used for cutting metal. I wrap the rooster in a towel to control him, them cut the ends off. I don't try to cut it off real short, but take away maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the length and leave a blunt end. I usually draw very little or no blood and he does not show any discomfort at all. It is probably a good idea to have some flour on hand to throw on to stop bleeding if it gets bad, but it never has been bad when I do it.

I grind the ends of his claws off too. I think the claws do more damage to the hens than the spurs. Again, I just try to blunt them, not take all of them off.

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Quote:I basically do the same thing. My Roo ripped a couple of my girls with his spurs, not to mention he outweighs them by 3 to 4 pounds. Instead of flour I use a bar of Ivory soap after the spurs are buzzed off. What I do is rub the bar on the trimmed spur forcing the soap into the spur completely sealing any bloodloss. It works great. The added bonus it kind of knocked him down a rung or two,he was less agressive with me and even lets me handle him now and he doesn't crow as much either.

4. Twiggers96

Twiggers96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Arcadia, FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

I like Ridgrunner's method. I've seen a live demonstration of removing them but cutting the hard casing with wire cutters & then twisting the hard casing off and
    it did not look fun for the rooster. It also left him with some raw flesh (what was inside the hard casing) exposed and I'm sure that was not fun for him either.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I use a pair of pliers and twist them off. Its very easy. I tried using a pedi paw to grind the spur off (my roo had a bit of fishing line wrapped around his foot, so the spur had to go one way or another), the bird flipped. Maybe it was the sound the grinder made that freaked him out. Anyhoo, he didn't so much as flinch when I grabbed it with the pliers and twisted it off. Good luck!

6. workinnanie

workinnanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:What is the potato method?

7. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
  8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have not used the hot potato method so I cannot comment on it. No experience.

When I use the Dremel tool, it is over on a very few seconds and he goes back to the flock. No need to prepare a special place or keep him separated for days or weeks.

9. workinnanie

workinnanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Wow. Interesting! Not sure I could do it but my hh might!

10. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Wow! I had a RIR (sadly, he was culled for aggression) that had huge spurs and the vet wanted to gas him for a few minutes and take them off. I didn't think I could do it but after reading the potato method, I can handle my up and coming roos. Thanks.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by