Hatch almost done... Scheduled power outage! HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilveradoCanMan, Jan 20, 2015.

1. SilveradoCanMan

SilveradoCanMan In the Brooder

May 6, 2014
    Hey all, Im on my second hatch ever, Im 17 days in. My first hatch wasn't great, but I've tightened up my temp swings with a thermostat and I think I've really set myself up for a great hatch... knock on wood!

Here's my problem, we just got a letter in the mail from the electrical company telling us that Friday, day 20, they will be shutting off our power from 10AM to 7PM (9 hours). What do I doooo?!?! Should I just cover the incubator (homemade) with a heavy blanket and hope for the best? Should I fill it with stones to act as heat sinks? Should I try to borrow a generator from someone? How much will 9 hours of no power affect the last day of a hatch?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing 5 Years

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Normally I would just tell you eggs can be in a power out 12 with out heat but just hatch later. but being close to you hatch day this would not be as good as say day 5. I had a power out on day 19 and I just had 2 eggs. I slept with them that night and right on time they hatched. now you will not sleep with your eggs, but you could try hand warmers you can by at a hardware store that you put in your glove, just be sure there is a layer of material away from the hand warmer it self. good luck.

3. SilveradoCanMan

May 6, 2014
    Hand warmers... is it hard to regulate temps that way?

4. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    well you could put them in your bra.

5. SilveradoCanMan

May 6, 2014
    Ummmm...

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    some day I will make an "egg belt" like a money belt, on one side I will put the eggs against my belly on the other side hand warmers. since just bra has been tried and didn't work. I would have to have 3 free weeks...[​IMG][​IMG]

7. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    hand warmers would be my only electric free solution.

8. SilveradoCanMan

May 6, 2014
    Haha, you are committed! :)

I'll give the hand earners a go and see what happens. Thanks for your input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: