hatch-along on 9th october...or 15th october

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kingpincray, Sep 28, 2010.

1. kingpincray

kingpincray Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    I have 13 eggs of Rouen X pekin cross in the incubator that I am hand turning 3 times a days and it is looking pretty good. A lot better than the automatic turner so far...

and also I have 5 white campbell eggs due on the 15th as well...

Have got to clean up the brooder box soon...

anyone else?...

2. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    I have ten Indian Runner eggs in an incubator due to hatch October 12. This is my first time doing this, and I am a nervous wreck! I am hand turning and using Hova Bator 1602N. I have kept the temp pretty constantly at 100. As for humidity, I have water in the reservoirs in the incubator. I freaked out reading all the differing advice on controlling humidity and whether or not to mist. So I decided to go with the incubator directions which said the thing is set up to handle the humidity and air flow. I am candling every day, because 1)I am fascinated and 2)I worry that one of them may die...as if I could do anything about it. All the eggs have very active embryos.

I have to set up a brooder box too. : )
    Jeany

3. kingpincray

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    Quote:definitely mist the eggs with luke warm water once a day when you turn after 10 days as it will really help with hatching as I have learnt.

4. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    Thanks! I did start that today. I hope I will have photos of ducklings to hatch and can't wait to see yours.

5. kingpincray

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    just candled my duck eggs before lock down but I can see bills in the air pockets in half of them...aggghhh!!! I am not ready yet for them to come out!!! they are not due for a few more days....

6. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    Once the bills are in the air pocket, how long is it supposed to be? Can you hear them yet? I will be pulling for them!

My eggs are all still moving inside, but they are getting big and cramped in there.

7. kingpincray

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
  8. kingpincray

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    half of the eggs have pipped and the other half seems to be couple of days later than the others. WHy is that so? and they are in random pattern positioning...

a pic of the pipped eggs

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  9. kingpincray

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    this was this morning before I went to work

[​IMG]

and this is what I came home to... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

everyone made it and another 5 eggs to go that are a day or two behind...then another 5 eggs of the white campbell due next week... too much excitement

I am pleased that the hobavator is doing very well for me this time, pretty much 100% hatch except the one egg that aborted in the first week.

10. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    Congratulations!!!! My daughter (who's 10) and I are so excited and seeing your babies is like a preview -- I hope!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by