Hatch assist advice needed. Update!!!!!! :0)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dandydoodle, Dec 2, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I just wanted to say thank you to the young lady who gave me advice earlier. I had a baby that was shrink wrapped and so I tried to assist hatch last night. As soon as I touched the membrane it got a small bleed. I raised the humidity and wet the membrane and put it back. I have been kicking myself ever since. At the same time I know if I had done nothing I think it would have died. There was no fluid left and I did manage to get one very small hole in the membrane. It has been killing me ever since because, I knew the beak was good and uncovered so it could breath. I was scared to death to make the hole bigger because, I was scared it would bleed. It was still alive today.

I took the advice of a fellow BYCer and wet the membrane to look for veins. I did noticed the veins were allot less obvious on the top of the membrane but, still very apparent next to the shell. I knew I needed to do something because, it couldn't be getting that much air. So on the top where it looked like the veins were starting to recede I made the small hole just a little bit bigger. When I did no bleeding!!!!!! [​IMG] So I slowly made the hole a little bit bigger being very cautious of bleeding. No bleeding. [​IMG] I manage to be able to pull the membrane back and expose the beak and guess what cheep, cheep, cheep. [​IMG] I put it back so that if the yolk and all the veins aren't ready they can have a chance to do their thing. I feel so much better now that it can breath. I am sure I will eventually have to help it the rest of the way out but, I think the little guy has a fighting shot now.

I know so many people say not to help and I did this on pure emotion was I saw my little one was wrapped and struggling. I must say though I am happy I help the little bugger out. Now cross your fingers [​IMG] little guy will gain strength after its big ordeal.

Thank you again to the BYCer that helped me. Only one person responded but, that one person made a world of difference for this little baby and myself.

[​IMG]

2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] This forum is awesome isn't it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Yes it is so great!!! I am so excited seeing little cheepy cheeping. [​IMG]

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Don;t feel bad at helping your chicks. I helped two last year and both survived they were hatched out at 27 and 28 days and like your little one were shrink wrapped. That doesn;t mean there is something wrong with the chick - it is usually that there was something wrong with the humidity levels. You may very well need to help your chick more. Here is the link to the help thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9316

Oesdog [​IMG] Well done for being brave!!!!

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    UPDATE [​IMG] UPDATE [​IMG] UPDATE [​IMG] UPDATE [​IMG] UPDATE [​IMG] UPDATE [​IMG] UPDATE [​IMG] UPDATE [​IMG]

Okay just wanted to let everyone know I loosened little one up a little more because, it was doing something with its beak that looked like he might be trying to pip out. I figured it might just be instinct to do this when it is time to come out. After I did that within the hour he popped right out. I let him decide when he or she was ready to finish coming out. He or she is walking around and cheeping and doing great. He or she looks completely healthy. I am really glad I helped, even though I did have a lot of conflicting feelings about it. In the end I just couldn't let little bit die.

I am soooooo happy!!!!!! Its name is Sprout because it is so tiny. [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. bonbean01

bonbean01 New Egg

Jul 3, 2010
    YAY for Sprout!!! I too have on occasion helped even though everything I've read says never to do that...but I have done it a few times and except for one time, it was a success:) How is it that we get so attached to these little peeps even before they are out? After many batches of incubating, it is still such an amazing miracle to me!!!!

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have helped a few chicks hatch. I have lost some but most have survived and thrived. I had a very tiny chick hatch out of a very tiny egg from my last hatch, (the egg was 38 grams) so I am calling the chick Tiny. So far it is doing good. Every time one of my eggs hatch I feel like it Christmas and I'm getting all of these precious gifts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by