Hatch date / brooder?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CrazyChickens09, Mar 29, 2012.

1. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    When chicks hatch and dry off is it ok to move them to the brooder while the remaining unhatched eggs stay behind or do the hatched chicks need to stay in the incubator. Their hatch date was yesterday. 1 hatched yesterday afternoon and the other at 3 am this morning with four more eggs that haven't hatched yet( how long should I give them?). Thank you!

** ps....the hatched chicks were stomping all over the unhatched eggs**

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't open the incubator during hatch unless there is a serious problem. Chicks absorb the yolk so they can go three days or so without food or water. That's why they survive being shipped in the mail.

This does not happen all the time, but if you open the incubator during the hatch it is possible to shrink wrap a chick. That's where the membrane inside the egg dries out enough to shrink around the chick, trapping it so it cannot zip and hatch. I've done that before so I'm convinced it can happen. But the risk is only when an egg has pipped so the membranbe can dry out. And when I opened the incubator, I did not shrink wrap every chick that had pipped, just the one. So it is something that can happen, but does not always happen.

I don't worry about them playing rugby with the unhatched eggs. I've never seen that to be a problem. Some people get real concerned about it and put their eggs in a carton, pointy side down and with the bottom cut out of the pocket to give good air circulation. Some people don't.

How long to give the unhatched eggs is a good question. I don't have a great answer. I've had hatches stretch over two days, but have never had one go so long that I had to take the early hatchers out. Them absorbing the yolk so they can go three days really helps.

3. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    Thank you..it brings some peace of mind!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yeah, I go into lockdown Saturday with a Tuesday hatch date. It is a worrying time, but the best thing to do is to be patient. That's not always easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by