1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatch date for broody hens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by robyn8, Mar 25, 2017.

1. robyn8

robyn8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan
    Anyone know the average hatch rate for a broody hen? I've got my first broody sitting on 4 eggs right now. She's on Day 5 or 6 I think. I candled one egg and can see tiny veins and a dark blob. The babies will be buff Orpington silkie crosses so I'm pretty excited to see what they'll look like!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hatch date as your title says or hatch rate as your post reads? Two different questions there.

3. robyn8

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan
    Yeah sorry auto correct changed rate to date and I didn't notice. I wanted to know what percentage of eggs a hen is sitting on that she will typically hatch assuming they were all fertile to start.

Mine sitting on 4 eggs and I'm wondering how many might hatch.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    No problem, just wanted to be sure I answered the question you were asking.
    There are a lot of variables that go into hatching - but my own personal experience has always been very high hatch rates (90% or better, many at 100%) for every clutch set by a broody hen.

5. robyn8

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan
    Ok great! I really hope she hatches at least 2 but it's her first time so we'll see!

6. robyn8

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan
    My broodys first chick hatched! I'm so excited! I lifted her up to check and there it was all dry already.

Two questions. Does mama usually eat the shell. I didn't see one under her. Also this is a dumb question but do the chicks sleep like normal dead looking chicks under mama? She was pretty upset with me lifting her so I only got a quick look. Baby looked fine just that normal sleeping position I've seen with my others where they look dead, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by