1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatch date is 7/14 - just a week away

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bobbieschicks, Jul 7, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    We are so excited our chicks will be hatching soon. We put 13 White Leghorns in the bator on 6/24 and started candling on Day 3. Posted about tossing vs. not tossing slow growers and glad I got the advice not to toss. Don't know if they'll all make it past hatch, but 12 of them are still growing. 1 was tossed as it never developed any veining and we don't want to take a chance on any exploding/stinky eggs. How do you prepare younger children for the potential losses (ages 10 & 8yo)? I keep telling them that while we have 12 eggs with chicks growing, some of them may not make it al the way to hatch and even after that they may still have something happen and then they'll die. I hear them say "okay" but I don't think they've grasped it yet - however I don't want to push the death angle and end up worrying or scaring them about dying.

The brooder is ready for them - but I'm planning to go tonight to get framing materials for a coop after seeing some pics of how big the chicks get in a few weeks time! DH was excited about chickens, but I know once they get a little large his excitement for them in the house will wear away fast. So got to get them their own home quick.

2. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I think you've done a good job preparing the kids. I thought my four year old would take it badly when we lost chicks, and while she was upset, it didn't last long. The fuzzybutts that did make it took all of her attention. She asked that we bury the chicks in the yard, and that was that.

3. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I don't think anyone can ever really be prepared for a death. I also tried to prepare my kids but my eight year old daughter is very sensitive and cried for quite a while when one of our first three chicks died. Of course it didn't help that later that night we had a family member die also. I personally didn't think that our 3 year old really took in the fact that the chick died but the first thing she asked when she woke up the next morning was, "Mommy, why did chicky die?

4. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    My kids are all older but I think having a nice little funeral for the eggs and failed chicks would help them say goodbye and come to terms with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by