Hatch date is tomorrow, 1/14! Anyone with me?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muddipuppy, Jan 13, 2010.

1. muddipuppy

muddipuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    Need a buddy to nail bite together.[​IMG]

2. bluedog

bluedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    East KY
    i just fired up my incubator up today so i cant help. but i do hope you have great hatch !

3. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I fired my bator up a little less than a week ago, so i can't help, but im excited to see your chickies! [​IMG]

4. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    I can't help either. Still have 19 days, but I'll be watching and cheerleading.

5. ilovebuffs

ilovebuffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Senoia, GA
    I'm in! I'm with you! I have 22 BO and 2 Bantams of some kind. Tomorrow is day 21 for us. I am so anxious. I have checked the incubator like 10 times today...thinking that maybe they'll be early:D But nothing yet. I keep checking the temp, I think that the digital thermometer that is in the incubator might not be accurate-we never tested it. I just wanted to get the eggs in the bator:) But my DH says to leave it alone and we'll check it after this hatch. I hope it's ok. Tell me what you have!

6. muddipuppy

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    Phew! A friend to go through the fire with. I've got 15 (down from 38!) shipped eggs of everything bantam: OEGs, silkies, dutch, Hamburgs, wyandottes, and more. It seemed to work out that I have like 8 different breeds in there. This is my first attempt with my newly acquired humidaire and my third attempt at hatching. The first two were in a hovabator and bombed. Hope there's some peeping in our houses tomorrow!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  7. muddipuppy

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    i lovebuffs,
    which are your favorites of the chickens you have now, personality-wise?

8. ilovebuffs

Jun 26, 2009
    Senoia, GA
    I really like the buffs because they are so laid back. But I like the Barred Rocks too. My DH likes the RIR because of the first batch we got from the feed store the RIR hen really "clicked" with him. I really would like to get some more Partridge Rocks and some Silver Laced Wyandottes. But I want to get hatching down and then order eggs. My kids are in the 4H poultry club and we will be getting 24 Standard little bitties and 10 Delaware Bantams in March. They are really excited.

So, this is my first time hatching... I'm guessing, you said you were down from 38 eggs to 15 eggs, did you candle and figure out from there that they were no good. I candled, but I really wasn't sure what I was seeing. I guess as I do this more often, I'll figure it out:) I looked at the different pics on BYC but my eggs weren't as obvious as the pics...Maybe I needed a stronger light. Who knows:)

Well, I checked mine this AM and no pips or rocking. It's making me crazy. So, tell me since this is your 3rd time hatching...At what point do you give up...on day 25? Crossing my fingers for you!

9. muddipuppy

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    I gave up on day 25. I have one BO and one silkie right now. There have been others in and out, but these two are here to stay. The buff is like a dog! She follows me everywhere.

As for the hatch, I just walked in the room and was peering thru the glass and just saw eggs. And the, a little guy poked his head up from the back!!!! She's already out![​IMG] SOooo exciting!

Candling gets easier. Just keep trying. You might need a brighter light if you couldn't see any movement at all. Crossing all my limbs for us both!

10. ilovebuffs

Jun 26, 2009
    Senoia, GA
    Congratulations!!!! Yea!!! How fun! 1 down, 14 to go! Keep me posted. I have to go out this afternoon but, maybe when we get back there will be little fuzzy butts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by