Hatch Date June 2nd...12 mallard eggs :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NYRIR, May 18, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I currently have 12 mallard eggs in the bator...this is not my first time hatching...but it is for duck eggs.I candled at day 7 and ALL were fertile...guess my drake has been busy! I candle again tomorrow night so we'll see if anyone is still kicking...I have a still air LG bator set at 100-101 degrees.Humidity fluctuates (due to hand turning) between 50 and 60 percent. Anyone else got duck eggs in the bator?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Just finished a hatching of our pekin duckies.... Just an idea, ours really benefitted from a once a day spraying of the eggs with the lid off to simulate mother duckling getting off the nest - You could start now and go through day 25!. We kept lid off about 8 minutes....Tecnique really helps!

Hope you have a great hatch! Nancy

3. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Thanks...read about misting eggs...will do....

4. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I am in the process of my first duck hatching experience. Looks like out of 8 (1 was infertile) all seven are going to hatch. 5 are out the other 2 almost. I use a LG still air, but with an automatic turner. Temp fluctuated quite a bit, no fan. I hatched on their sides not in an egg carton.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Yeah,i saw those in your other post...too cute ...seems like you did a great job.I've hatched chickens before a couple of times and had decent hatch rates, so I'm hoping [​IMG]

6. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I am thrilled with this hatch as my first attempt at hatching chicken eggs granted they were shipped, was 0%.

7. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Oooo...that stinks ! So you made up for it this time [​IMG] I candle tomorrow night for day 14....so we'll see if they're still good.I have had some fluctuation of temp as well as humidity.These darn upstate springs... [​IMG] and heating with wood...so meaning the temp is never the same in the room...it seems like a constant battle [​IMG] but....I've done it before sooooo... [​IMG] c'mon ducklings! (not like I don't have enough already...)

8. Chriswardens52

Chriswardens52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    I have 10 mallard eggs in the bator right now . All alive and well. They are due 5/25. Wish me luck

9. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:I hope they all hatch for you...keep us posted!

10. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I would love to get ducks but I have to have a place to put them for they will not stay in my house like my chicks do. I got 9 chicken eggs due to hatch the 22nd but I think two are already quit some time back. I candled to night and the other 7 look good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by