Hatch date vs ship date! I need some clarification!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wink, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Wink

Wink Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    I know I can call Ideal and get this info. But I'm curious for the answer now (well, in the next couple of hours :) I juuuuuust placed my very first order of bantam chicks thru ideal, with the hatch date for all my breeds on 2/9/11, which is a Wednesday. Does this usually mean they also ship out on 2/9/11 and I might get them 2/10 (I live about 4 hours from the hatchery)?

Just thinking and wondering aloud. I also ordered 16 bantam chicks.... You don't think they will add extra for warmth, being that bantams are such bite sized little dudes and dudettes?

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Yes they ship out the day the chicks hatch.

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    yes hatch date is ship date and you will probably get extras...full sized roos

4. Wink

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks, that is what I thought. So I should plan for a 2/10 arrival? Oh, nervous butterflies!

5. Wink

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    Quote:Holy crap, really? Should I call and edit to request at least more bantams???

6. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    Quote:Holy crap, really? Should I call and edit to request at least more bantams???

I don't think you can specify what they use for "packing peanuts". It is usually what they have the most of at the time. You could just grow them out for a while and either sell, give away or eat them.

7. Wink

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    Im up for donating them! Anyone want my packing peanuts? :)

8. Likenoothergerl

Likenoothergerl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Land of ahhh'ssss
    Hi I'm on my second set of chicks from Ideal, and if you don't want packing extras, request the insurance and tell them no packing roo's and they won't.[​IMG]

9. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    We also have a 2/9 Ideal order!! Originally we ordered 15 pullets, but didn't want the 10 "packing peanuts" to find homes for, so we ordered 10 more pullets. Already found 1 guy who wanted 6 SLW so we got those, plus 4 additional EE's since we figured it'd be easy to sell those for $3 each and whoever buys them (inc the guy who wants 6 SLW) gets a deal since we aren't charging for shipping...we'll see if this works and we get all 25 w/o any males added...ha. I'm also worried about them shipping on time as 1 of my breeds (GLW) is over-sold.

10. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ahahaha "packing peanuts"... really? I love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by