Hatch day and I ned one older one identified please.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by emvickrey, Aug 22, 2010.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    This is the one I need identified. Don't mind the egg i the pic. I removed it from the bator. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    By emvickrey at 2010-08-22
    [​IMG]

This is a wing and the back. It was giving me a fit and holding with one hand and taking a pic with the other was nearly impossible.
    [​IMG]

Ok, here's some babies. More are hatching
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll post one of them all when they're done.

2. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    The one I need identified was raised with several different breeds of quail chicks. When they got older and I could tell girls from boys I picked out my breeders and left the rest tobe processed when they grew up a bit more. This one is a good size now but I want to know what breed it is. It is the only one like it in the bunch. After the ones I picked out as breeders had been in their pens for a few weeks I had tried to put this one different one in with the jumbo cortunix, then the manchuren and the Texas A & M's then the mixed ones and they all attacked it. Thats why I kept tring it in different pens. I didn't put it in the Bob White pen. Tomorrow separating the Bob Whites into 2 pens and i'm going to see what happens when I put this odd one in with them. If they attack it too it will have to get processed.

Somebody told me it kind of looks like a hawk but I think it is too small for that. Maybe unless it is a small breed of hawk. It's tail feathers are straight across but so are the quail. The feathers kind of look like a Bob White but they also look like a regular bird too. If it's not a quail I don't want to process it and eat it. I'll just let it go. I don't tink it could hurt anything I have that runs loose.

The chicks that I posted are Bob White's that are hatching today. They are not of this odd bird.

I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could help me out in identifying this bird. It is occupying a cage with 2 Manchuren roos waiting to grow some more for processing. They are getting along fine.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It DOES look like a baby hawk. Where did you get your eggs?

4. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I traded for the chicks. How on earth would a hawk egg get in with quail eggs? I'll have to talk to the person I got them from. He was raising quail himself and I traded with him for just about all he had. I didn't see any texas a & m's on his property so maybe he bought some eggs. I know he bought something from Cackle hatchery, but I don't know what. Maybe i'll take it to Rellfoot Lake to the meuseum there and see what they say. IF it is they will take care of it. They have big tent like enclosures that has injured birds in and they take care of them till they are well then release them. If they can't be released they keep them.

I would think a hawk would be bigger than a quail. Well bigger than this on is anyway. It is bigger and grows faster. Maybe it is. HMMM. Ain't that something? [​IMG]

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Lol- Wow It Does Have A Hawklike Appearance Doesnt It?

If I Had To Pick Quail Speces I'd Say New World Quail--- It Appears To Have The Faint Facial Stripes Like A Bob Would, And A Bob Shaped Face/ Head As Well As Triangular Shorter More Stout Beak Than Coturnix. Do You Know What Type Of Egg? As In White Bob White Looking Eggs Or Speckled Coturnix Looking Egg? Almost Looks Like Some Sort Of Bob Hybrid Or Strange Color Mutation Of Bob.

Attractive Lil Bird. I Have Seen Bobx Valleys
    And Bobx Gambles
    This 1 Could Be Something Of That Nature, But Its Still A Lil Early To Be Sure

6. Plucky Pullet

Plucky Pullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2010
    I think it looks like a quail. I don't think it is a hawk judging from it feet. Hawks have talons with feet that "grab" from what I see in the picture that bird only has 3 toes. That beak is tiny, very neat looking chick.

7. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Well, this little one will be sticking around a while longer till I find out what it is.

8. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:My other quail are hard to handle because they fight very hard to get away. This little guy is hard to catch in the first place and keeping a hold of it is even harder. It's feet are just like the other quails feet and the claws are just as sharp as the other quail too. It was smaller than the rest when I got them and now it has passed them up. It's big enough to process but I'm gonna keep it for now at least. Till we discover more about it. Maybe somebody has another like it and wants this one. Who knows. [​IMG]

9. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    butler bobwhite...

looks exactly like the ones i have...

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:UM.... NO, I RAISE THEM AND IT HAS QUITE A FEW DISTINCT DIFFERENCES. THO IT DOES HAVE MANY BOB-LIKE QUALITIES. THE BEAK IS LIGHT COLORED, ALL BUTLERS I HAVE SEEN ARE BLACK, THE COLORING OF THE BIRD IS TOO LIGHT AS WELL--- MORE OF A GREY COLOR, THE BOBS ARE ALL A DARKER BROWN, AND THE LEGS ARE LIGHTER COLORED TOO. ALSO THERES NOT REALLY A MASK ON THE FACE/ HEAD AREA. ALSO THE OP'S STATED GROWTH RATE IS WAY WRONG FOR BUTLERS AS WELL. THEY START OUT SMALLER THAN COTURNIX AND HAVE SLOWER GROWTH RATES SO THEY WOULD BE LEFT IN THE DUST BY MOST QUAIL WHEN IT COMES TO GROWTH, THE OP STATES THIS 1 WAS SMALLER BUT HAS PASSED THE REST- THAT DOESNT FIT EITHER. BEHAVIOR WISE AS WELL, THE OP STATES THAT THE BIRD IS GETTING PICKED ON BY COTURNIX.... ANY BUTLERS I HAVE HAD WOULD LAY WASTE TO A PEN OF COTURNIX THE MOMENT IT WAS DISRESPECTED. SO YOUR LIL MYSTERY BIRD IS REALLY A BIT OF PUZZLING THING? I STILL SAY THE BEST BET IS ON A HYBRID OF SOME SORT. I HAVE SEEN CROSSES OF BOB WITH GAMBEL AND VALLEYS AS WELL AS COTURNIX. WHILE THIS COULD BE A BOB-BIRD(COTXBOB HYBRID), ALL OF THOSE I HAVE SEEN HAVE THE COTURNIX FACIAL FEATURES, BUT MY EXPOSURE TO HYBRIDS IS LIMITED SO THIS IS A POSSIBILITY, IF I HAD TO ABSOLUTELY PICK 1 I'D SAY BOB X GAMBEL--- THE LIL FELLA RESEMBLES BOTH SPECES THE MOST OUT OF ALL.

THEN THERE'S THE POSSIBILITY OF A STRANGE GENETIC MUTATION. IT MAY BE A MUTANT BOB? WE HAVE KNOWN AND EXPLOITED MUTATIONS IN THE BOB WORLD--- TN RED, ORANGE, MEXICAN SPECKLED, WHITE, ETC... ITS NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION TO HAVE OTHERS, JUST NOT WELL KNOWN DUE TO THEIR RARE NATURE. IN THIS CASE IF THIS WAS A STANDARD BOB BUT JUST LACKED THE CELL THAT FORM RED PIGMENTATION THEN THE OVERALL BIRD COLORING WOULD BE SOMETHING LIKE THIS.... IT DOES HAVE THE BOB PATTERN ON THE BACK, JUST NOT THE RIGHT COLOR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by