Hatch day and nothing!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by justcackle, Aug 18, 2013.

1. justcackle

justcackle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    I have a bantam setting on 9 of her eggs. It has been about 21 days and nothing is happening. I do not know if they are fertile. I candled and they were dark with air sac. Her nest is out in the open in my garden! I tried to move her but she would not stay. I do have her fenced off and was planning to move her and chicks as soon as they hatched. Question, should I move her now? The nights are getting cooler. Or should I put eggs in incubator? Or just leave her alone?

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Since it's so close I would leave her for a few more days to see if any chicks hatch first. I've tried moving hens right at the hatch date (because of flooding - an emergency!), and it was very stressful for all of us. If you're sure it's been about 21 days and there aren't any chicks in 3 or 4 more days then they're probably not going to hatch.

3. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    At this point you should be able to hear the chicks pipping. When was the last time you candled? The first time my Dory went broody I think I was more worried than she was. I was just about to give up hope then suddenly one morning 1 hatched, then over the next few days they all hatched one by one.

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Any update today?

5. justcackle

Apr 7, 2012
    I checked this morning and nothing! I candled them and several are real dark. I am just going to leave them and see what happens. I'll let you know if we have babies!!!

6. YangGuangLei

YangGuangLei Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    Moree, NSW Australia
    Anything?

7. justcackle

Apr 7, 2012
    Nothing! [​IMG] When do I give up?? I'm so sad. My little hen is still setting on them.

8. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    oh.thats so sad! Its hard to give up. Maybe you could get her a couple of chicks to stick under her?

9. chickarooo

chickarooo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    Well just leave it for a few days sometimes babies come late once mine didn't come till day 24[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by