Hatch day! logistics

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by estaswick, Jul 26, 2013.

1. estaswick

estaswick In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    This AM I candled an egg that I snuck off one of my muscovy's nests, I know I shouldn't have but I was curious, to my surprise it was internal pipped already, when I returned home I had (atleast) 2 external pips. I have a plan in place for keeping the mama and babies separated form the rest of my mixed flock (hens and 2 other scovies) but I am wondering what I ought to do for food and water. Namely should I provide a normal black feed pan with water for mama overnight? Or should I just let her come out in the AM with the other birds to get water, they have had access all night in the run but she no longer will as it is fenced off now. Do I need to be concerned about ducklings drowning in the water if I put it in there? Also will mama lead them to a chick waterer in the run to drink if she is not using it or do I need to provide something else for them in that regard?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

ttp://www.backyardchickens.com/t/52173/less-mess-duckling-water/10 use these waterers for mama and ducklings. I make the hole a little larger for mama and put it up on scrap 2X4s to make it too high for the ducklings to get into it. open pans of water will cause drownings with ducklings. so give them their own water and feed. Congrats on babies and pics when you can.

3. estaswick

estaswick In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Thanks Lydia. I made a couple out of the yogurt water containers for now. Work great. a few cute factor pics below. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Oh my goodness how adorable... mama looks so proud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: