Hatch day no hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmandaMiller1012, Apr 3, 2018.

1. AmandaMiller1012

AmandaMiller1012 In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Today was hatch day so I candled to check if everything was alright. There was a lot of liquid and no sign of life I had to increase humidity for another chick that was having some hatching problems and she made it through. Other than high humidity killing the chick there is some green stuff that I’ve never seen before. Dose anyone know what that could be or have seen it before. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    WVduckchick likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've had non-hatch eggs look like that when I opened them. The smell will tell you if the chick died due to bacteria infecting the egg. It will be just horrible.

I had a broody break an egg early in the incubation that had been contaminated by bacteria. The smell was putrid. The broody ate the yolk. She immediately got sick. She was on an antibiotic for ten days of her incubation. She made a full recovery in time to raise two live chicks.

Eggs, being porous, are susceptible to bacteria. It's amazing it doesn't happen more often than it does.

oregonkat and WVduckchick like this.
  4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    looks like infection to me.

oregonkat likes this.
  5. AmandaMiller1012

Sep 1, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Yeah I agree it looks like one but it didn’t smell. Also when I first opened the air sack you know there is usually a white protective layer that creates the air cell and you have to break that to get to the chicken... well that was not there which I’ve never seen before

6. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yes, that definitely looks to me like it could have been an infected yolk sac. They can have a smell to them. Not a really nasty smell, but a pretty distinct type of smell. I had a gosling with one once and while the smell wasn't like rotting, there was definitely a smell. But it's possible that it could be infected without a smell too.

AmandaMiller1012 and oregonkat like this.
  7. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Apparently it had already internally pipped and moved into the air cell space.

8. AmandaMiller1012

Sep 1, 2017
    Oklahoma
    But it was still covered by clear membrane, wish I would of taken pictures of that I just wasn’t thinking at that time

9. AmandaMiller1012

Sep 1, 2017
    Oklahoma
    So the air cell was in the outer membrane. Has any one ever seen that before?

10. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    The air cell is between the inner and outer membranes. The chick develops inside the inner, then pips into the outer, then out of the shell. So it sounds perfectly normal.

oregonkat likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: