Hatch Day Questions!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickenllady, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Chickenllady

Chickenllady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Today's day 21 - Hatch day! So far we've got 1 out of 2 babies hatched. The first one is definitely a Rhode Island Red, but the second one has the potential of being Rhode Island Red mixed with either a Cornish Cross, Black Sex Link, or Red Sex Link. He's doing pretty well, but I have a few questions!

1. How long does it take for the baby's down to fluff up, and when should I move him/her to the brooder?

2. My incubator doesn't have a setting for humidity, just for the temperature in Celsius. Right now, the temperature in Fahrenheit is 95 degrees. There is definitely humidity in it, though, because we have water in the bottom of it and little water drops all on the incubator's sides. Is this alright?

3. When should I worry about whether or not the other egg will hatch? I did the float test a couple days ago and they were both good, and I could see LOTS of movement when I candled them.

Thank you!
    - I'm not used to all this incubator stuff! I usually just put some eggs under a broody!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I am not a Hands On hatcher----meaning I would not open the incubator until the hatch was over, BUT there is some hands on hatchers on here. I also would never do the float test---unless it was After the due date.

They usually dry a few hours after hatching.

95 is to low---how long has it been on 95?? Normal temp is 99.5/100 for forced air. Did/are they hatching on time?? If they are hatching on time--I guess the thermometer is wrong??

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  3. Chickenllady

Jul 9, 2014
    Sorry, meant 99!
    It was originally on 122, which I knew was WAYYY too high for the babies. I took it down a couple days ago and they seem to be doing fine. I haven't done the float test since a couple days ago.

4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK,

Why would you do the float test before the due date???

Was it 122 with the eggs in it or before you put the eggs in it?

Did you candle the eggs on day 18 at lock-down? What kind of movement were you seeing? Was the egg real dark except for air cell or light went through it pretty good with some little something moving in it?

5. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    @AmyLynn2374 you answer this if you will----is it ok to do a float test even before the hatch date. I do not do float test so I have no experience. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    1) it depends how high your humidity is in the incubator. Higher the humidity the slower they will dry.
    2) you really don't want to see condensation in the incubator. I would highly recommend getting a hygrometer for incubation. Many people loose a good share, sometimes all there chicks at hatch from high humidity during incubation and if you aren't monitoring it in any form you run a high risk of either having too high or too low.
    3) It is most common for hatchers to all hatch within 48 hours of the first hatcher.

Is it ok...if there are no pips or cracks, it won't hurt them, but in my opinion it's a pointless exercise, especially before Day 17. If you can't see movement by candling (and it's done right), most often you don't see movement floating them. I would never recommend it used before due date...actually, I don't ever recommend it. It's a very misleading "test". The only one truth to that test is if the egg floats and moves independently from the water ripples. And like I said, you usually see that movement as well candling it. A sinker isn't always dead and a floater with no movement doesn't tell you anything for sure either.

7. Chickenllady

Jul 9, 2014
    One of the babies hatched yesterday and we now have him in the brooder! He's very lively and is trying to learn how to walk now. As for the other one, he/she has finally pipped, and we're waiting for it to hatch!

I appreciate all of you helping out and answering my questions.

I've always done the float test at least once before the hatch (after thoroughly looking it over to make sure there was no pipping) and candling.

I don't think there's room for anything else in the incubator- it's extremely small, not like normal Brinsea ones.

The baby chicken kept me up all night last night! I was up til' 4-o-clock because he was being so loud in the brooder! Hopefully by tonight the other baby chick will be able to be put in the brooder.

Thank you, guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by