Hatch due on Wed. MOVED BROODY, FIRST PICTURES, YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dehave, May 26, 2008.

1. dehave

dehave Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    I tried to move Broody before we set her on her eggs. She had 2 infertile ones then. Moved her to a small dog kennel at night and she moved back in morning. People said to leave her. We decided to leave her and were going to put a 6 in. lip on her nest box so the chicks couldn't fall out.

Last week we discovered mites. I dusted all the hens with prozap and reapplied 2 days later, per conversation with Prozap manufacturer. Then dusted entire coop with DE. Didn't change her straw because I didn't want to disrupt her nest.

I have finished my nice broody house with seperate fully enclosed run. White washed intererior with DE and will lay fresh pine shavings today. I want to move her and the eggs to the broody house so they will be safe and in a fresh clean environment, but it would be the worst if she left her nest now. What should I do?

***I put pine shavings in a small kennel. I slipped her eggs out from under her and put them in the carrier and then put her on top. I moved her to the broody house and kept the kennel door closed. She was standing up in front of the cage. I gave her five minutes and then checked her. She was still standing. So I went in and set her on top of the eggs. She sat down, but didn't cover them all up. Will she? What should I do?

Thanks

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. dehave

Apr 27, 2008
    BUMP

3. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    Is she setting yet? Hope so...good luck!

4. dehave

Apr 27, 2008
    It's hard to say. I have an old video baby monitor in there with her. She is sitting down, but I can't say for sure if she pulled all the eggs up under her or not. Should I go out and disrupt her to check? What would happen to the eggs that are on the periphery if she doesn't tuck them in all night. If she is sitting on some, should I assume she will instinctually tuck them all in? I am so worried. I don't know if I did the right thing.

5. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    Im sorry I cant answer I've never let my hens sit on their eggs I put them in a bator. Just hoping things are going ok and wishing luck. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    i'm new at broodies too so i don'y have any advice, just wanted to wish you good luck!!!

7. dehave

Apr 27, 2008
    Well, she set! She is currently eating crumble and yogurt in her luxurious new accomodations. Sometime in the next 2-3 days we should see babies if all goes well. This is the hen that is sitting on ducks and chicks. I am SOOOOOOOO nervous!

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I hope it works out well, I would have waited and moved her and the babies after the hatch...

9. dehave

Apr 27, 2008
    I thought about that, but since the tractor had a mite problem, I thought it was safer to get them to into a clean nest before they hatched. I dusted broody, so hopefully she didn't bring any with her.

10. dehave

Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: May 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by