1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatch failure..........Red Bourbon Turkeys!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by granites2001, Feb 17, 2008.

1. granites2001

granites2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am very sad.............The instructions with our incubator told us to incubate the turkey eggs at 99.5...........We followed those instructions..........The internet says 99.0............Our first batch was due to hatch on Wednesday............We candled them one last time as today was the last day to turn them..........Only two of them have developed..........We removed the others, who stopped developing..........Looks like we lost most of them at week 3........I cracked the open........The chicks had their egg tooth and feathers...........They all had their mouths open as if they were gasping for air...............when they died...........I have 3 more hatches coming after them........We have adjusted the temps............I am so sad........We do have two eggs left due to hatch on Wednesday..........I am hoping they made it!

Lisa

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    A half to one degree usually isn't what kills a hatch. What about humidity ?? Did you have two thermometers to make sure the temp was accurate ??

Sorry about your hatch.

Julie

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    sorry about your loss. like julie asked what is the humidity. also the manual troubleshoots some problems

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  4. granites2001

Thank you so much for responding............We followed the incubator instuctions and kept both reservoirs of water full..................I think they may have drowned..........We are newbies and the humidity think is really hard to follow............

Lisa

5. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    do you have a hygrometer?

6. granites2001

I sure didn't...........We are new, thougt the incubators we bought had everything they needed (Little Giant Still Airs).........Where do I buy one?

I am so glad I found this site..........Everyone is more than helpful...........

Lisa

7. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    ok. Before your next batch try to gewt a indoor/outdoor hygrometer. preferably a accu-rite. iit measures the temp and humidity. you can pick one up in walmart or a harware store.

I am glad to help

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  8. granites2001

I will............We have a wal-mart supercenter right down the road...............It broke my heart to see these little ones who seemed to develop just fine until day 21...........When I opened the eggs.............They all had their little egg teeth and the beginnings of feathers..........Their little mouths were open as if they were Gasping for air.............SO SAD!

Lisa

9. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I know how you feel. When I was on my 3rd batch of eggs (buff orps). I woke up in the morning to see a beak out of the shell but it was not moving. it had its mouth open. I was so sad [​IMG]. Hopefully your next batch will be much better

10. granites2001

Thank you so much..........Candling at 7 days was great, 14 days great.................21 days VERY QUESTONABLE..........We let them continue.........At day 24 at turning time, when we knew we could not open the incubator again.........We did one last candling.........I am glad we did, as I would have been heartbroken in the end.........The two that still looked good are PEEPING...off and on.............They are alive now.............I am hoping they make it!

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by