Hatch from broody in 3 days!!!

prairie204

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2017
Manitoba
I have my very first hatch from my broody in 3 days and I'm feeling very stressed. :/
It's cold here in the prairies but I've decided to let momma do the work. I learned that she can keep them safe and warm, also I don't want to re integrate them all to the flock. Here is my dilemma:

My other 6 girls have all the way through laid their eggs in the same box. I've tried everything to get them to go out into another. They have never damaged any of the eggs but what in the heck do I do when the babies come? thanks

Momma will move the chicks from the nest to ground level (or if it is a little high off the ground, then put her and the chicks on the floor, once all the viable eggs have hatched). No need to give her a nest, just maybe some bedding in a quiet place in the coop - she will decide where to sit and keep her little ones warm and safe. The original nest will be free for your other girls to lay in.

I have my very first hatch from my broody in 3 days and I'm feeling very stressed.
hmm.png

It's cold here in the prairies but I've decided to let momma do the work. I learned that she can keep them safe and warm, also I don't want to re integrate them all to the flock. Here is my dilemma:

My other 6 girls have all the way through laid their eggs in the same box. I've tried everything to get them to go out into another. They have never damaged any of the eggs but what in the heck do I do when the babies come? thanks

If you are saying your other hens have been adding eggs to your setting hens nest the whole time and you have Not been removing the fresh layed eggs daily----you are going to have a staggered hatch big time. How many eggs has she got under her? For the future reference----you have to mark the set eggs so you can remove any fresh layed eggs daily---OR do like I do---Move the broody hen to a private hatching pen---then you want have that problem. Unless you remove the chicks as soon as they hatch to a heated brooder and stop the hens from laying more eggs in her nest---she will set along time which is not good. If you just let her hatch---as soon as a few hatch she has to either abandon her chicks or leave the nest which has more chicks about to hatch----to take care of the ones that have hatched.

I should have been more clear, so yes
..the others have been laying in there the whole time but Im very vigilant to remove them every day so only the marked ones are in there. they all lay within an hour of eachother and the broody never leaves the nest. I should add, I have no roosters I got the fertilized from my friend. She is sitting in 6. And I have 6 hens in total. All friendly with my broody and the broody never complains

I should have been more clear, so yes
..the others have been laying in there the whole time but Im very vigilant to remove them every day so only the marked ones are in there. they all lay within an hour of eachother and the broody never leaves the nest. I should add, I have no roosters I got the fertilized from my friend. She is sitting in 6. And I have 6 hens in total. All friendly with my broody and the broody never complains

Good, had me worried---LOL. Let Mom hatch---she will take care of the babies. If she and babies get along with the other hens that will be good, I have to separate mine to keep from loosing so many chicks and the mother getting in many fights. Throwing the little chicks some chick feed when the other ladies are busy is a good thing. Good Luck

Last edited:
What happened to me.....I had a staggered hatch and after 48 hours and only two chicks my Hen abandoned the other eggs to care for the first two chicks she hatched.....

I would remove her from the flock unless your not as concerned about the others killing the chicks. My broody is in a pen in my garage raising her two chicks.......Not say it will happen, but it could happen.....

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom