1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatch from hell..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WeeNicole, Aug 16, 2014.

1. WeeNicole

WeeNicole Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Well im mentally drained, ill keep this as short as possible and hope i explain ok.

My hatch of 13 was due Thursday 14th last candle showed all living. All went ok during incubation temps held great. Came home on Tuesday 12th which would been day 19 to find two pipped eggs - ok a little early but not un heard of. One hatched during the night the other died before zip. Day 20-21 three more hatched slowly, and one pip went on for near 48 hours and seemed stuck and no movement so i knew i needed to try assisted hatch but i had to get the first hatched out to food and water so opened incubator and moved chicks to brooder, slowly "successfully" assisted chick and put back in bator to hatch the rest itself once dry i moved to brooder it seemed fine until i found it dead this morning :( Anyway another hatched last night, very sticky chick and small slightly weak.

Today is day 23 and i was sure that was all i was getting until i looked to see another 2 pips! Ones zipping now other no progress for hours so could be another DIS.

What on earth has went so wrong to have both early and late hatches (all set on same day). And alot dead in shell, sticky "fur" and death after hatch.

Im stressed to say the least. RANT OVER

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I think all of us have had the early birds and the late to the partiers all in the same hatch...Hard to explain except it is just the way it goes... I have had hatches like that and then I have had hatches when they pip and zip within 24 hours. Do you run a still air or a fan incubator?? I have noticed with my still air to have cooler spots, I chose to not use the egg turner this time and hand turned, but I also moved the eggs around every turning, moving some from the front to the back from the middle to the sides, just shuffled them around... That said, I am on day 19 and after candling last night I still have a few with a very small air cell but have a couple that have internal pips!.. I also do dry incubation, not sure of your humidity in Ireland, but here it was between 50-60%... The sticky chick is from to much humidity from what I have read.
    It sounds to me your humidity was to high resulting in the "sticky chick"

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  3. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Fan forced incubator, my humidity was running actually lower than my last hatch due to bad weather between 45-55 through whole hatch. My last hatch went very well and it ran between 50-55.

I did bump up humidity to 60-64 during lockdown hard to keep it up at night though, ran at 58 at night. Just strange how some went great and others are struggling so bad to actually dying in shell..

ah we do this to ourselves dont we lol but im not disheartened by this. Ill certainly be trying again but would like to have an idea to of what might be the problem to try fix it. Although very hard to say.!

4. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    hmm, then I don't know... Its crazy how some get along so well and then at the end there are so many problems, I know, I had a hatch last fall, I believe 23 or so eggs made it to lockdown...only 3 hatched and only one of those survived!! It is so hard, but your right, we do this to ourselves..
    Sorry, I don't have any answers for you [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  6. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Thanks guys. the nightmare aint over yet even now! The 6th egg hatched last night and went to turn incubator off and saw two pipped eggs not moving and when I tapped shell peep peep! It was a assisted hatch due to chick being stuck, drying in bator seems ok,
    But the other I think I got to too late, very weak.

So from Tuesday to Sunday all this has me completely drained.

So anyway now out of 13 eggs I now have 6 in brooder and 2 in bator although as I say one not likely to make it.

7. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    And here's the little terrors themselves!!
    [​IMG]

8. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by