Hatch has started!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Feb 23, 2013.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I was getting a little worried as yesterday was day 35 for my Muscovy hen and nothing. So, this morning I decided I better check some of the eggs and see. I was worried maybe they were all duds.

I pulled one out from under her (she graciously just peeped at me instead of attacking my hand) and the first one looked like a dud. I'm not great at candling so I stuck it back under her just in case. Pulled out egg #2 and there was a hole and it looked like it was about half way done with the zip!! So I put that one back under and left her be.

So babies are on the way again. [​IMG]

2. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Congrats!!! [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

5. harriedhomemaker

harriedhomemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Exciting!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Any news? [​IMG]

7. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I didn't see anything this morning but it was only 30* so any hatches would be tucked up under her tightly. Its supossed to get to into the low 60's later so I'm hoping they'll pop out to say hi.

8. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I found what I thought was a discarded egg shell but it turned out to be, what looked like, a squashed hard cooked egg. Weird. One egg has almost completed hatching but no pips in the others. At least I didn't see any. They do look like pics of full term fertile eggs. Very dark with a good size air cell but I'm not sure. So I think there are 7 others under her that are ?. I hope she doesn't end up with only one. There was one other that wasn't good.

I was toying with the idea of checking at TSC and seeing if they have any very young Pekin in. Has anyone added ducklings to a hatch?

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    As long as she is still sitting you can probably get away with it, like you do chicks at night, removing eggs and adding duckling then watching to make sure all is well. Is this day 36 or 37? I'd still give it a couple days.

10. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    It's day 37. The one was out if the shell the last I checked but still wet. I checked with 2 TSCs near me and neither have ducklings anyway. I'm hoping more will have pipped by tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out in case she leaves the nest. I haven't had 1 hatch so far ahead without any activity from the other eggs. But maybe I'm just bring more observant this time. Only time will tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by