Hatch is complete!! 50% hatch rate question bout 2 tht got stuck

Chickiebabyfluff

Yappette in Training
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
NorthEastern Ohio
I had a 50% hatch rate of which i am happy about. My humidity stayed good and so did temp but the last 3 got like superglued into their egg so i had to go in and get them. They had pipped and zipped but glued as they zipped what causes tht? On the remaining eggs i eggtopsied and the chicks fully developed but never externally pipped so what causes tht? Wanna try another hatch end of the month any advise or pointers to help make my next hatch any better would be apreciated. was a still air hatch .

There are two things that occur, one is shrink wrapping from the egg membrane drying out.
This is from humidity being too low.
The second is sticky glue and the chick getting stuck from the humidity being too high at the first half of incubation.
The egg has to loose about 15% of its weight to hatch sucessfully.
If the humidity is too high at the beginning the chick will not be able to rotate and will be 'sticky'.
It's more complicated than that but that's usually the two main causes.
There are many things too look at for sucessful incubation and good record keeping will help you keep track of what might have gone wrong.
Everything from diet and health of the laying hen and rooster, egg size, thickness, age before setting.
Moisture loss, temperature gradience, how many times they were turned, rough handling, fertility, age of laying hen and genetics.
The chicken industry has spent a fortune on scientific studies into incubation and there is alot of information available to study.
Always remember when asking for advice the person giving you advice may have no experience and no sucess themselves.
I'm sorry your hatch wasn't better but I'm really happy to be able to welcome the little ones you did hatch.

If you could say what temps and humidity you used during incubation I might be able to guide you to some information that could help.
Also what breed, age of eggs, age of layers diet of layers etc.
Will check back tomorrow though.
Been a really bad week here with the heat wave.
Had to cull 12 newborn bunnies this morning cause their mom died from heat exhaustion.

Last edited:
Sorry it took me so long to answer back.
What breed are you incubating?
Your chickens? or shipped?
Brand and type of incubator used.
Humidity during incubation.
Temperature during incubation.
Did any of the chicks have curled-toe deformities or splayed legs?
Did the dead in shell eggs internally pip?
Did any die after internal pip but never external?
Did any die after external?
Have any died since hatching?
Did you candle during incubation?

This will give a better idea to what happened and how you can improve your hatch next time.

Quote:
hi ceinwyn ty so much for responding!! So sry bout your bunnies i have provided the answers to your questions below ty so much
1.silkies , speckled sussex, and blue copper marans
2.shipped
3.hovabator 1602n forced air with automatic turner
4. 99.5/40%
5.no curled toes or splayed legs
6.did not internally pip
7.the dead ones never internally pipped so never made it to external
8.none have died since hatch all are doin very well
9.yes i candled at day ten and 18 and things looked good both times

Ty again for your help i really apreciate it!!

Quote:
Temp and humidity from day 1-18 was 99.5/40/45% forced air. On day 18 i turned the fan off temp increased to 100/humidity shot up to 75-80% as they began to hatch but until they began to hatch humidity was at 60% according to the folks i purchased the eggs from by the time the eggs reached me they were around 4-5 days old

Okay I see nothing wrong at your end.
Alot of people will blame shipping but your chicks developed so thats not likely the cause.
This leaves heridity, age and diet.
Its hard to really know when your dealing with other peoples eggs exactly how they've managed their stock.
Some think you just need to give layer feed and some outside time and everything is good.
Layer feed is good for making eggs.
It's not enough for making babies.
Vitamin deficiencies cause alot of dead in shell and deformity issues.
Even if the flock seems to look fine they aren't receiving enough to provide what is needed for the chick to survive.
Diet is so overlooked but its really one of the most important aspects of hatching live and healthy chicks.
Sometimes we have to stick our necks out to get new stock though if nothing can be found close by.
I'm so happy that you got half of your babies to hatch.
In case I forgot I did mean to say congrats on your new babies.
I'd love to see pics of them.

Quote:
Thanks Ceinwyn i am working on gettin pics up today. I have noticed something about the whole diet thing..i ordered some chicks from Mcmurarry hatchery as they came highly recommended and the chicks i got from there by far are more healthy looking all the way around then the shipped eggs ones tht i hatched. So i completely believe what you say about diet and such. I"m in no way sayin hatchery chics are best cos i have heard some horror stories lessons learned can be hard sometimes! Will be puttin those pics up a bit later and again ty so much for the advise i reallly apreciate it!! Would LOVE it if we could keep in touch!

Back
Top Bottom