Hatch on day 26? normal? another one pipped at small end

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Cowgirlgrace, May 25, 2010.

1. Cowgirlgrace

Cowgirlgrace Chillin' With My Peeps

This is my first time with hatching turkeys. The day after I put them on lockdown I had one pip at the pointed end. 24 hours later still no progress. Shortly after that one pipped, another started and zipped right out after a few hours. So, is it normal for turkeys to hatch 2 days early? Temps were normal during the incubation. Also, the one that has pipped at small end, will it be able to get out being backwards?

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

If they hatched 2 days early your temp was probably just a touch to high.

Steve

3. turkaholic

turkaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Quote:I had one pip the small end earlier this spring. On it's own, it probably won't make it. What I did, was open the pipped hole enough for the poult to breath. After about twenty four hours and no further progress, I figured the egg yolk was absorbed and proceeded to chip the small end of the shell away enough that the poult could push it's way out. It was chirping lively, and after a time it pushed itself out. It is now four weeks old.[​IMG]

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    I agree with both post here. a half of a degree too hot, equals 1 day early. Check that thermometer, also just so we are clear, 99.5 -100 is correct.
    Also, as for the pointed end guy, yes leave him for a day or so, but they usually need a helping hand as it's hard for them to spin around on that end, but if you try too early and the blood hasnt been fully absorbed, it'll bleed to death. When you try to help it 24 hours after piping, do it in small sections, it you see blood stop and give him 6 more hours or so, especially if they are hatching early, may just be a few front runners...

5. turkaholic

turkaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Quote:Good info Aubrey.[​IMG] I should have gone into more detail in my response to the post. The blood is a good indicator!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by