Hatch or not

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hens123557, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Hens123557

Hens123557 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    I am thinking of putting some eggs in the incubator on the 8 of February to hatch for the 1 of March. But I don't now if it's too early for hatching and to cold for the chick in March ;):/

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A part of that is where you are and a much bigger part is what your brooder is like. I can think of one guy up in the Michigan peninsula that is probably hatching now and his brooder is outside. I’m putting eggs in my incubator Tuesday if the hens keep providing eggs like they have been. My brooder is in the coop.

If you can provide an area warm enough that they can go to when they need to warm up and keep the food and water in a reasonably warm area, maybe in the 50’s, it doesn’t matter what the temperature is outside the brooder. It is what is going on inside the brooder that counts.

Some people report lower fertility of the eggs this time of year. Others don’t. I have not noticed a problem. If the rooster has finished the molt and the hens are laying, the eggs should be fertilized. I suspect the people reporting the problems are more likely to have really cold eggs. I gather them four times a day at least when I’m getting ready to incubate and don’t have that problem.

3. Hens123557

Feb 2, 2014
    Thanks you . I am from harrogate in North Yorkshire and the chicks:D will be in a shed with a heat lamp :D:(

4. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    An outdoor shed in early march might be a bit too cold for them. I would try and keep them inside till April, when the chicks have a bit more plumage coming in and the temperature warms up.

5. Hens123557

Feb 2, 2014
    Thanks and it a stone shed

6. cstronks

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    It still could be too chilly. Stone insulates both ways - it keeps cold in just as well as it keeps cold out. Unless there is a reliable source of warmth, I would be nervous to have them outside in early March. Where I live, the threat of snow isn't over until mid-March at least, and the last from comes sometime in early April.

7. Hens123557

Feb 2, 2014
    Thank so you think it will be ok hatching now if I keep them in side :D:):)

8. cstronks

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Oh certainly. Inside the temperature is controlled and if you have a spare room to put the brooder you will be able to trap the heat. Newly hatched chicks can be a little difficult. You want to set up your brooder so that there is a space where the heat lamp is focused, but also give them space away from the lamp so that they do not overheat. You'll notice if they are too hot if they are panting or separating their wings from their bodies. If they are too cold, they will huddle very close together. You'll probably find something in the 90-98 degree range. Do you have a brooder to keep them in?

9. Hens123557

Feb 2, 2014
    Thank I am going to put some in on Saturday for the 1 of March :cd :jumpy

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I buy day old chicks in Feb and brood them in an unheated barn. The whole area doesn't need to be warm, just a spot for them to warm up. I'll never, ever brood chicks inside again. I think a not-drafty shed would be fine as long as you have a good heat lamp with a warm area under it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by