Hatch Pictures!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Whistling Badger, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Whistling Badger

Whistling Badger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    a burrow in a pasture
    McNugget #2 arrives on the scene.

We've been incredibly disappointed with our hatch--only two out of 20+ eggs! But I got to watch this yesterday, and disappointing or not, this was a pretty cool thing to get to see.

It's the CIIIRRRCLE of LIIIIFE.... (come on, everybody sing along with me)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tom

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. chikkinlittlesc

chikkinlittlesc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]
    Great pics! I know how you feel when you don't get a high percentage hatch. I am like you, thankful that something hatches and I get to witness it.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Shipped eggs are a gamble any time you get them. Shipping whether they're handled carefully by the PO or not is hard on them.

4. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    The pip, zip, and hatch, is like a little miracle to me. What kind of chick is it? Sure looks robust and healthy!

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Congrats on getting to see your chick hatch! It is a very neat thing! You're right! Your pics are wonderful as well.

Sorry for your disappointing hatch though. I wish you better luck next time around! [​IMG]

6. Whistling Badger

Whistling Badger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    a burrow in a pasture
    Thanks. The little guys are really cute. They seem healthy and they're a lot quieter than I thought they'd be. They really respond to our voices.

They're golden laced wyandottes. We have 20 more on order from the feed store (straight run, due this week!), and Mrs. Badger just ordered 100 (yes, one hundred!!!) mixed meat chicks from Mt. Healthy. If the wyandottes are healthy, we'll keep the hens and one rooster to hopefully get our flock going next spring. The 100 from Mt. Healthy will go in the freezer in the fall.

Not sure what we're going to do with 100+ chicks...might be too much of a good thing. Two is pretty manageable, though. [​IMG]

Tom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by