1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatch question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by whippet128, Jan 31, 2009.

1. whippet128

whippet128 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    I ordered some eggs to incubate. got some from the guy down the road. this is the 21st day. one of the ordered eggs hatched this morning. Another ordered egg is still working at it. One of the gifted eggs hatched about 4 pm The chick that hatched this morning is just laying around. the gifted one is stumbling all over my brower incubator. The shells didnt stick. Is this normal for a chick to just lay there? What causes chckens to grow to almost hatch then not hatch. this is my first time trying this. any advice would be cool. thanks

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

I have never hatched chicks, so I can't help you. However, I am sure that someone who is very knowledgeable will come along soon!!!

Cindy

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Congrats on your chicks! Some are a little slower than others to get moving. Once you get them into the brooder, you could add a little sugar to their water to help give them a little boost. Might not be needed but it doesn't hurt. Dip their beaks in the water so they know what it is and sprinkle some feed on the floor.

It should be dry and fluffy by now; if it's still really wet it might be "mushy chick syndrome", I think that's the terminology. If that's the case, unfortunately it probably won't make it.

Not sure exactly what causes them to develop and not hatch. I'm having the same problem right now. Don't give up though - I've noticed that because it's so cold, my hatches are running about two days later than normal. I had 7 chicks hatch today and 4 eggs (that I know have chicks in them) doing nothing. Don't give up yet - give them a few more days. I usually give up at day 25.

4. whippet128

Jan 31, 2009
    thank you for the welcome. I live in Wi. This is my first time in the bator. Different than letting the hen do it. Thank you

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Oh - missed that - [​IMG] !!!! Glad to have you!!!!

6. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    follow the link in my signature for some real good help.

7. Hello & Welcome to BYC ! You will love it here .

8. whippet128

Jan 31, 2009
    I have been a lurker for a long time. There now it is out. I guess the first step is admitting it. I guess my wife is the social one, but this is cool didnt expect a responce so quik. thank you. Just waiting for the other chix to hatch. My nose is pressed to the top of the bator like a kid on a school bus. (a.k.a. window licker) thanks for the advice. I am already looking for more eggs to incubate. I got to get a rooster.

9. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    It's so addicting!!! The more you hatch, the easier it is to learn to ignore them for 18 days. The last three are a killer though.

Glad you quit lurking and joined us. There's alot of great info on here and wonderful people.

10. whippet128

Jan 31, 2009
    three more hatched early this morning. two more pips. this is great. I already ordered more eggs. this is addicting. Now looking at building a bigger bator out of an old fridge. That should be fun. I love building stuff. Right now I have 12 rirs and 4 black astralops. have been getting 15 to 16 eggs a day. And I still cant keep up with the people at work who want them. I never thought that chickens would be so much fun. thank you all the advice
    Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by