Hatch rate of shipped eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OzarkCountryGirl, Apr 30, 2008.

1. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    Just wondering...for those of you who have purchased eggs and had them shipped to you, what was your success hatch rate? I'm wanting a few chicks of a couple specific breeds, but don't have room right now for the 25 min. required to ship live chicks.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That just varies wildly, depending on so many factors. The seller's packing abilities, the P.O.'s handling, the incubation, etc, etc. I've had five of six hatch, two of six, 13 of 16 hatch, just every number in between. It's one of those gambles you just take and hope things work out for you. To help your odds, buy from sellers who have good reps for packing and fertility and hope the P.O. is kind.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Shipped eggs are always iffy... My first batch was great, the second and third not so great. The fourth is currently incubating so I'll have to get back with you. [​IMG]

4. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    I'll let you know in 21 days...Mine just got placed in the bator...Wish me luck... If you only want a few eggs I don't you buy from an individual off here, ebay, or eggbid.... You can get as many or as few as you want shipped doing it that way. I just put some bantam Polish eggs in that I got off of Eggbid and I'm hoping for a good outcome. My last batch was someone who lived an hour away and drove them to me. I got 90% hatched out of that batch and I'm praying for the same....[​IMG]

5. OzarkCountryGirl

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    Quote:Your numbers have encouraged me to give it try. [​IMG]

I know a lot depends on how they were packed and the P.O, so I'll be sure to find how they are going to be packed and labeled before hand, and I'll just have to hope for the best with the way the PO handles them. I'm looking at getting a dozen eggs, and if I get 4 or 5 to hatch out, I'll be a happy camper. [​IMG]

6. OzarkCountryGirl

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    Quote:Best of Luck! [​IMG]
    What do you have in your bator? And don't just tell me "Eggs!" [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Cackle Hatchery has a 15 chick min. and they even sex the chicks.

8. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Hey, I have a hen that looks like the one in your avatar. [​IMG]

See?
    [​IMG]

I have welsummers (shipped eggs, 16) and 26 from my own flock in my incubator at the moment. They're due to hatch in May. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2008
  9. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    I had a very good hatch rate with shipped eggs. Just tell them to put shredded newspaper on the bottom and sides, then put each egg individually in smal bubble wrap. Lay the eggs flat, single layer on top or the shredded papers. Place more shredded paper on the top and side. Mark your box WITH VERY LARGE LETTERS SAYING "HATCHING EGGS INSIDE, FRAGILE" in red on all sides top and bottom of box. We'll be waiting to hear what you got. [​IMG]

10. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Quote:Best of Luck! [​IMG]
    What do you have in your bator? And don't just tell me "Eggs!" [​IMG]

I have bantam self chocolate and self black Polish smooth and frizzled ones. I got them off of eggbid....They cost me $12 plus $12 s/h
    The auction was for 12 but I got 4 extra... 16 total!
    I got them from eggbid member: schwartz
    I have to say they packed them very well. They rapped each individually with a paper towel and then place them in a egg carton, taped the carton shut, taped the two cartons together, and then placed them in a box full of lots of newspaper... It was very well packed. All look great, and looked like it did not even shift in the box. Last time I hatched 21 out of 24 so :flSend me those good vibes!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by