Hatch Rate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by indigo flats, Feb 25, 2017.

1. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    My first time hatching I got 83% hatch rate I will improve that overtime. I didn't get everything right the first time, but worked it out along the way. I learnt a lot this time around. My goal is to hatch turkey eggs. I am pretty sure I can hatch me some turkey eggs when I get them. I must wait for my eggs do not know when that will be. The main thing I learned was to be sure your thermometer is accurate I went through 4 that was my first mistake. I ran my humidity a little to low but worked that out also. At lock down I increased the humidity to 70% eggs chipped on day 20 and hatched on day 21. The one I lost he was the first to chip and zip 3/4 of the way then all action stopped. But the other 5 did good. I may do another batch or I may wait for turkey eggs. but I am a happy camper on this hatch.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You did VERY GOOD..... I am assuming that you have a small incubator. Will it be able to handle turkey eggs as well.? ( I do not use incubator, or hatch eggs.. chickens pets only.) Second Question.... Where will your turkey eggs come from? Your turkeys, or someone else, or mail order?
    WISHING YOU BEST. [​IMG]

3. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    My incubator will hold 48 chicken eggs in a turner more if I hand turn, It will hold turkey eggs how many not sure. I also have racks for goose eggs. The chicken eggs are off my chickens and the turkey eggs I get will be by mail order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by