1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HATCH RATES - Homemade Incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rainie, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Rainie

Rainie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Washington
    I love browsing through the homemade incubator section of BYC, and I'm hoping I'll be able to make a homemade bator with my younger sisters soon as a science project. There are some really amazing pages on there, but most of the pages are missing critical information: their hatch rates!

It would be nice if people could update their incubator pages with some information about the success of their hatches. It would also be nice to mention whether or not the eggs hatched were local or shipped.

Just something to keep in mind for future incubator submissions!

I would love for people who had good hatch rates from their homemade incubators to post a link to their incubator page, if they have one.... [​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

My best hatch rates were with this one.
    [​IMG]

Which just so happened to be my first incubator.

Here is my biggest one I built.
    http://cmfarm.us/fridgebator.html

I've got better than 75% hatch rates with it on most shipments of eggs.

Ive built lots over the years an all gave me some hatches above 90% with my eggs.

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    When I started hatching my own eggs instead of shipped eggs my hatch rates went to 85-100% I used 2 different homemade bators ,With shipped eggs the best I did was approx 65% closer is better [​IMG]

4. Rainie

Rainie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Washington
    Thank you both for your replies!

Rebelcowboy, you have awesome info on your BYC page and on your website! I'm sure I'll be using them as a reference when I build my own bator.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

[​IMG] Happy to help.

6. tnfarmeggs

tnfarmeggs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Have my 1st batch in 1st homemade bator, due 2.15.11 so [​IMG] and will update with hatch rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by