Hatch scheduled for 18th lay on side or in tray

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ultra1classic, Dec 13, 2009.

1. ultra1classic

ultra1classic THE FLUFFINATOR

Jul 20, 2009
    Virginia
    have 10 silkies hatching on the 18th....have hatched many chicks but never did one in the trays with egg standing on end....had a whoops and a couple hatch in the turner...lol
    looking for some imput on pros and cons....decent hatch rate laying on side...but eggs do get rolled around a lot by first hatchlings

2. IncubatorWarehouse.com

IncubatorWarehouse.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Fruitland, ID
    One thing that you could do is to get a piece of cardboard and divide the incubator so that as the birds hatch you can move them onto one side of the cardboard and they won't disturb the eggs that are still hatching.

Best of Luck to You!

3. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    my last hatch i did the egg carton. what i learned was to trim the carton where the eggs sit. leave just enough to hold the eggs in there. that way the chicks can get out but not disturb the others hatching. also if you have more than twenty eggs lay them on there sides. just isnt enough room in there for any more than that. i learned the hard way and to open the bator to many times during the hatch. had ten shrink wraped chicks. i have 15 silkies to lockdown next tues. i have three super trimmed cartons for them. oh use styrofoam also. no paper. good luck hatching

4. matthew1985

matthew1985 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    dover,delaware
    ive did both and i think on the side is better if ur hatchin alot .becouse they hatch out n then rest on the carton stopin the others from bein able to zip out. on a few eggs it worked great for me!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've had improved hatch rates using the cartons. I just cut the lid off......I've never had a chick who had a problem getting out. I won't ever go back to hatching with the eggs laying on their sides. There are people who have good hatches that way.....I'm just happier and have better hatches with the carton method.

6. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    This Maybe A Really Dumb Question But Has I Have Only Hatched Once Before With Bad Results And Am New To This Egg Carton Hatching And Don't Want To Make A Mistake, When They Go Into Lockdown And I Put Them In The Egg Carton They Are Placed With The End With The Air Pocket Up Right?

7. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    yes. air pocket up. pointed end down.

8. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Quote:THANK YOU SO MUCH! HAVE A GREAT EVENING!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by