Hatch Time! BABY PICS!! 6 out, 4 more pipped!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PaintedGemsRanch, Oct 11, 2009.

1. PaintedGemsRanch

PaintedGemsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    So I asked my husbands aunt for some test eggs. She gave me 6 this morning. I was hoping for more but hey, they were free and its my first hatch. I actually thought about going to the market and trying some eggs hahaha Anyone had any luck doing that? Heres just a couple pics of the eggs that are going into the bator. Anyone else setting today!??!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit for question: I cant seem to get the humidity low enough. I calibrated my hygrometer last night (let it sit all night) this morning it read 65% (so I now know to add 10%) I placed it in the bator and it is reading 61% (so acutally 71%) This might seem like a silly question but should I add or remove water to bring it down?
    Note: that the water is in the center tray.. oh and im using the Genisis and temp is a steady 100 degrees according to my "Walmart Accurite Thermom. Hygrometer Combo."

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    Good luck!! What breed are they? I have 11 eggs in the incubator due Oct 25/26th!

Just my luck I'll be showing goats at the state fair on the 25th!

Laney

3. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I set 2 dozen yesterday as a test hatch. Never done it before. Mostly mixed breeds.

4. PaintedGemsRanch

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    Quote:They are just mutts [​IMG] But ill love them just the same!

5. PaintedGemsRanch

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    So I think I have found some information and corrected myself. I placed a piece of aluminum foil under the turner but above the screen to change the surface area. I read the it doesnt matter how much water you add but the area added. I also removed the red plug on top to see if I can get it down. Now to wait patiently for another hour to see if there is any changes. Wow Im already antsy, I dont know how im going to make it 21 days [​IMG]

6. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    I can come and look at it if you would like you you can come here and look at mine we live really close. And thank you so much for taking the roo to the swap for me

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

This might seem like a silly question but should I add or remove water to bring it down?
    Note: that the water is in the center tray..

No question is a silly question!
    Add water to add humidity.
    Take away water to take away humidity.

Good luck!​

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It took me a couple days to get the humidity where it needed to be on my incubator. I also used foil to cover part of the water well and it took several times to figure out how much to cover up so the humidity is correct. Once I got it set correctly though, I didn't have to add more water until today, so it lasted about 8 days.

9. PaintedGemsRanch

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    Thanks everyone! I ended up covering the whole thing in foil and its still at 52% [​IMG] We shall see, maybe my calibration was a bit off.

Shannon, that would be awesome if you could come by. Im free all day tomorrow unless Nancy (bargain) gets in touch with me and I go get eggs tomorrow. Ill PM you my address and number!! [​IMG] and your welcome!!!

10. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    yea your humidity seems way to high! but if you can get a low 50 then i wouldn't worry too much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by