Hatchability of FAT eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gritsar, Dec 13, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My brahma girls are in their 3rd year of laying. Their eggs this season have become very fat. As long in length as an average large egg but twice as big around.
    Anyone know if these fat eggs would have a better rate of hatch or a lesser one? I swear they look big enough around to hold two chicks (though so far they've all been single large yolks).
    When and if I get a broody in the spring I'd like to slip some of my brahma eggs under her.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Generally at 3 years of age, the eggs will get larger. Some of our 3 year old Welsummer eggs are 2 times the size of the one year old hens eggs. Yes, they will still hatch, at least that's our experience. Of course at 3 years of age, they are laying less eggs than the 1 year old hens. Best of luck and have a blessed day. Nancy

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

The huge eggs that I tried to hatch didn't do very well. However, we suspect other genetic issues at work against us from those girls.
    I've had good success hatching my BR's eggs and she's been laying "pullet size" for months now [​IMG]

I think the only way to tell is to try it and see!! [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I had two huge eggs in my last hatch and both chicks are huge too. Too stinkin cute too.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Surprisingly, according to my records, my LF brahma girls laid better in their second year than in their first. Now, coming out of their second adult molt (3rd molt total), they are laying real well. Averaging 6 eggs a day from 12 hens.

6. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Quote:Surprisingly, according to my records, my LF brahma girls laid better in their second year than in their first. Now, coming out of their second adult molt (3rd molt total), they are laying real well. Averaging 6 eggs a day from 12 hens.

I guess every breed is different.....I better get some LF brahmas if their average laying improves! WoW!
    Have a Merry Christmas. Nancy

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

In my "reduce the flock" effort, I gave away two pullets to a BYC member, and one of them was my sole LB. I was sad she wanted that one, but Peggy went to a new home (and got her name changed to Brenda) as part of a much smaller flock. It's good for her, good for me, and will be good for the BYC member.

I'm sure I'll end up with another chance to have a/some light Brahma(s) again.

*sniff*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by