Hatchalong Starts Tomorrow May 1st............anyone else?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rgvchicks, Apr 19, 2012.

1. rgvchicks

rgvchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    Roma Texas
    I was given the idea a couple of weeks ago by a member about starting some kind of Fridebator's Hatchalong where everyone with a homemade fridge/freezer bator were welcomed to join this ride......oh well .....why not?.....I'm setting more eggs on the 1st, I'll be starting with 60 eggs, and keep on adding another 60 eggs every 7 days until i fill up the fridgebator.....everybody is welcomed to join.....so clean that dusty fridge you got in the garage........or head up to the dumpster.....or clean up that old fridge you have in the backyard.....join the fun!!!!...............No Fridgebator............No Problem.........Everybody Is Welcomed?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I'm with you!! I'm trying to adjust my fridge bator, the temps in the lowere racks stay at 97-98 and of course the top is 100-101, any suggestions??
    Ayda

3. rgvchicks

Feb 1, 2012
    Roma Texas
    hi.....last hatch when i had my fridgebator standing (i have it right now laying on its back) i had my heat source (2 100w bulbs) right at the bottom along with a fan......i also had another fan on top this way the airflow would constantly be revolving inside the bator and the temps would be constant 99-101 at the same time from top to bottom.....hope this would help you.......[​IMG].......oh i forgot, i also have a waffer thermostat i bought on ebay.......[​IMG]....i had totally forgot.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  4. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    I have two fridgerbators...I get better hatches out of the bigger dorm one than the small dorm one..I put a incadecent light at top and a energy saver on the bottom, the top one is attached to a water heater thermostat while the bottom one is constantly on, also have a big PC fan on top to blow air towards the roof. I have two egg turners in it and are now filled with guinea eggs. These are this years first guinea eggs so fertility is not checked yet. The smaller dorm one is now sitting dormant but will be used as a hatcher as a turner will now fit in it.

5. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Thank you, I added more heat sinks to bottom and a shelf with holes below heat source, it's an incukit and it does put out some serious heat LOL. Also added a fan I purchased at Walmart, will see if this helps
    Ayda

6. rgvchicks

Feb 1, 2012
    Roma Texas
    ok....so after doing a head count of chicks i have i decided to only add 60 eggs for the fridgebator hatchalong starting May 1st instead of adding another 60 each week until filling the fridgebator.......reason is that i have 230 chicks alltogether and still have another 110 eggs that will hatch on the 30th, 2nd, and 6th.....if i have a good hatch with them eggs, ill be hitting over 300 chicks......i think i need to start selling some at the fleamarket if i want to keep on hatching more eggs....lol.....[​IMG]

7. rgvchicks

Feb 1, 2012
    Roma Texas
    my silver phoenix hen has started laying eggs......[​IMG].....more phoenix babies will be on their way.....lol......anyone else ready to join on may 1st?

8. rgvchicks

Feb 1, 2012
    Roma Texas
    ok.....i'll be setting my eggs tomorrow at noon...........i have 14 old english bantams......6 silver phoenix.......7 hennies.....and 60 barnyard mix...........Good Luck Everyone!!!!

9. rgvchicks

Feb 1, 2012
    Roma Texas
    that's why one should not count their eggs till you have them in your hands.......lol......i ended up with only 58 eggs to set instead of my previous post.......[​IMG]......here is the count:

i set 58 eggs......12 old english bantam.....4 hennie's.....9 personal barnyard mix....9 silver phoenix.....and 24 barnyard mix of my neighbor's farm.......will be adding another 150 eggs this friday from my neighbor's farm, well i think there's gonna be 150 eggs more to add ,..,...lets wait and see.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by