Hatched 85% males over the past 6 mo... anyone else have this ratio?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bantyshanty, May 28, 2010.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I don't know if this should be under hatching... not that one can tell gender when they hatch usually, but,

My husband & I decided to get about a dozen bantam pullets, by hatching eggs from breeders, largely through BYC.
    We've done this: We've hatched about 60 eggs over the past 8 months. We've finally gotten 10 pullets from this.
    We've rehomed about 20 cockerels, all to great places, have another 18 to go, and are going to keep 2.

I refused to get sexed chicks from hatcheries, or anything from hatcheries, so I hatched eggs. It was rewarding,
    but the trials of finding the roos good homes has been wearing on us.

Has anyone else hatched this many males since last autumn?

Has anyone incubated 7 or so eggs, and raised them & found at 3 months--silkies [​IMG]--they're ALL male?

I'm trying to find someone to commiserate with me! Thanks lol!

2. Penturner

Penturner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno Nevada
    What is your overall hatch precentage? I was just reading something that suggested incubator conditions could result in more males hatching than females. but this would also be accompanied by a high failure in eggs with females.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    oooh oohhh me me me...I had a hatch of 6 silkies-2 black 2 white 2 buff last Summer-all Males I wound up just keeping the 1 buff roo and selling the rest-silkies are easy to sell male or female

then this past Spring I hatched 1 FBCM-2 Amaracaunas ( blue and black) -and 2 white silkies all males! This was all in one hatch and the rest didnt make it:-(

This year with my split lav silkes I have had an incredible ratio of 80% pullets! The other roos went to freezer camp or rehomed! I do have BLRW that I got from a breeder 6 from one breeder 6 from another-the first 6 are 5 weeks old all roos-the are so red on comb is sad:-( that is 60$ almost downt he drain then the other 6 3 look to be roos too!

Im sorry you had such a bad ratio-I dont think your alone though, unfortunately:-(

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  4. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    I heard if you put ACV in the water you will get a better pullet rate.

Dont know if thats true, but I commend you for hatching your own and finding homes for the boys!

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I'll find that out next time I hatch my own eggs. I've been using what I have on new chicks and haven't bought more in like 2 months.
    Hopefully it will help, but I have somein the bator new, so will give me something to compare.

Just came in really to say my ratio is 75% roos.

6. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Any time I have hatched it was a gamble, odds say 50/50, but I have ended up rooster heavy, and pullet heavy a bunch of times.

ACV in the water?

Can you imagine if that was true, would not the hatcheries be using gallons of ACV.

7. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    Quote:You are lucky in your area. I had a very hard time just giving away a blue silkie roo last year.

I hatched 1 egg this spring and it is a roo - so 100% roos for me so far [​IMG]

I have 3 more a friend hatched that are still too young to tell. I have only had a 50% hatch rate.
    4 out of 8 hatched.

8. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I've only been hatching since this past January when I got my bator for Christmas (hasn't been off since) and I have had 80% cockerals!!! It's rediculous the number of chickens I have compared to the number I've hatched out!!! [​IMG]

9. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    my hatches this year are about 70% pullets. i wanted a few more cockerels to process. we will do one more hatch for july and put the incubator away untill january

10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Reply deleted.

Last edited: May 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by