Hatched baby can't walk.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CanChaser, Nov 19, 2011.

1. CanChaser

CanChaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2011
    Hiawatha kansas
    One of my chicks that hatched last night still can't walk. He's dry and fluffy and seems fine other than not walking. I set him up and he just topples over. Is there anything I can do?

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Quote:I had the same problem yesterday but today its upright not on its side so i would give it some time. [​IMG]

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would give it a chance, she's not on a slippery surface , right?

4. CanChaser

CanChaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2011
    Hiawatha kansas
    Still can't walk. It's not slippery. The poor thing lays there and kicks. I set it up but it just falls over. I've been giving it sugar water. It looks so healthy but I guess it's not.

5. johnskoi

johnskoi Chillin' With My Peeps

search hobble braces and bandaids -- saved a couple of little peas from being permanently crippled for me this past summer...was a one day treatment (2 for a few) -- time is of the essence tho --(by the time i explained it, it would be too late)

6. johnskoi

johnskoi Chillin' With My Peeps

i also used water bottles to give 'em something to lean against while they adapted -- the other chicks liked the bottles too- a little geothermic heat from the lights [​IMG]

7. Denab

Denab Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    La Center Ky
    I have a chick that was Born on 2/23/12 with the same problem... I have to feed her and give her water.. She falls over to one side...I put a town in the incubator. I have her by herself... I don't know what to do. Help please.. i did they band aid thing she still falls over to one side.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know. I think if there's no improvement within 10 days, I may euthanize. Make sure they have food and water-they will eat more food if you make mush out of their crumbles.

Johnskoi, I used to live in Center Moriches, then lived in Ridge for 18 years. I moved to Fla in 2004.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by