Hatched but still attached

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NanaM, May 6, 2011.

1. NanaM

NanaM New Egg

May 6, 2011
    I have been blessed with 27 out of 35 eggs hatching! All are great but one. He/She still has the "afterbirth" still attached at the vent and it has been about 6-8 hours. What to do?

2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    We need a picture of this. If it is a the yolk still being sucked up by the chick, DO NOT touch it. Sometimes they hatch before they are really ready if incubation wasn't exactly right, or if they were just in a hurry (some chicks do do that I think). If the chick is fine and up moving around and such, just leave it alone. She may not make it, but sometimes they'll do this and pull through just fine. Just make sure they aren't crowded, use a red light and watch carefully for picking.

3. NanaM

NanaM New Egg

May 6, 2011
    Thanks so much for advice. I can't get a pic of it to post. She seems to be doing just fine and it's been about 18 hours. I left her in the incubator with only one other chick cos I didn't want her to be lonely and have others running around her and rip it out. I'll pray for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by