Hatched chick has proplem. Update: Problem solved?

Pasha1

Songster
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
South Geaorgia
Chick hatched a few minuted ago and the gunk is attached to the shell. Get that that will dry out and fall off. It didn't absorb all of the yolk I think. Has an eraser sized yellow bit at his navel and attached to the gunk. kinda ok with that. What I am really worried about is the thread like piece that is attached to the sack in two places yet somehow wrapped around one leg? To fine to show up in pic. What can I do? will that dry out? should I clip it?

Last edited:
Very, very carefully clip the threads. You can wrap the chick up in a cloth and put it in the brooder in a coffee mug to keep it from wiggling around or getting stepped on by others. The unabsorbed yolk will absorb in about an hour or two and the chick will be ready to run around with the others. Just make sure you moisten the cloth a little where it touches the chick's navel area, or the gunk that's left will dry to the cloth.

Haven't cut it yet. So scared. Keep hoping it will just go away on it's own. This batch has not been as easy to hatch but so far they are hatching.

Back
Top Bottom