Hatched chick hasnt absorbed yolk fully, will it be ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nikkumz, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Songster

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Should i jut let it be? It hatched about 2-3 hours ago and still has a bit of the yolk outside of its body..Its obviously still in the bottom half of the egg a bit. How long will it take for it to finish absorbing?

2. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Songster

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    I am going through the same thing as we speak! Glad i am not alone, but sorry yours was not a clean hop right out of the shell hatch...It is way more intense and worrysome than I thought it would be. My chickie hatched at 820 and is still slightly connected, its toes are kind of curled up, I hope they straighten out on their own, I have no clue if they are curled slightly when they hatch or not....sending good vibes your way! Good luck![​IMG]

3. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Songster

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Anyone know about this? Shold i cut the umbilical cord and detach it from the egg? Will that help the yolk absorb, or do i just need to leave her alon? Shes just laying in the bator

4. MjChickens

MjChickens Songster

Jun 30, 2010
    La Center, Wa
    Quote:no leave the yolk sac attached. If the chick is the only one in the bator that will help. Let the yolk absorb.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Just leave her alone in the incubator/brooder away from other chicks. They usually finish up on their own and turn out fine. [​IMG]

6. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Songster

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Ok, thanks so much! She's the only one in there, the rest are in the brooder already. How long does it usually take for it to absorb?

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:It can take a few hours. You should see a difference by morning. Don't worry about feeding it, the yolk will be all it really needs for a couple of days. Give water once it starts walking (add a little sugar if it seems weak).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  8. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Songster

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    She still hasnt absorbed the yolk all the way and its been about 5-6 hours....Should i be worried? Theres just a little bit there, and shes just laying there. Is she just laying down not moving much because the yolk is still on the outside a bit? Or is there something wrong with her?

9. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    If she still has not absorbed the yolk, there is nothing you can do. Some chicks just don't make it but I think it is too early to say this will be the case with your chick. Chicks often have to rest for long periods of time after hatching before they try to get up.

I know it is hard not to worry but the chick has to do this on its own. I could be up and running around by tomorrow. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Songster

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Ok, i just checked on here and it looks like the opening (where the umbilical cord comes from) Is almost fully closed with a bit of the yolk sticking out...Is that possible?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: