1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatched chick not walking

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunnydt, Mar 25, 2012.

1. sunnydt

sunnydt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Chick hatched today, not totally on its own. I had to help a little. Its yolk sac was out and I had to push it back in. The chick is breathing fine and moving and chirping a bit but wont get up and just lays there, does not try to get up at all. Is there any hope for it? Never had this happen before.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  2. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    anyone? [​IMG]

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Give it time to gather its strength. Hatching is hard work for chicks. I had two hatch a few days ago that I was worried about - and now they're doing just fine. If it is still not walking by in the morning, I guess you'll have to come up with something else. I've given mine some Gro-Gel before to give them a little energy.

4. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

Are his toes curled under?

5. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Ok thanks, no his toes look normal but he wont even stand up. He moves around and is breathing fine but hardly ever opens his eyes and wont even try to get up. I am thinking maybe since he just got the yolk inside that it will take a little while for him to get energy. what do you think?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  6. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Give him time. You'll have a much better idea tomorrow morning.

7. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    You guys were right! He is up and walking around doing great!!! Thanks [​IMG]

8. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] that's great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by