Hatched chick rolled the other eggs? Do I fix them??

longmomma

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2015
I had two chicks hatch last night and two more eggs that have pipped. However, the chicks have pushed over one of the eggs so the pip is now on the bottom. Do I fix it or leave it alone? Thanks!

scflock

Crowing
5 Years
Jan 13, 2015
Upstate South Carolina
I had two chicks hatch last night and two more eggs that have pipped. However, the chicks have pushed over one of the eggs so the pip is now on the bottom. Do I fix it or leave it alone? Thanks!
Since the eggs are pipped, I would leave them for now. Opening the incubator will cause a drop in humidity and that could compromise the pipped chick. It's hard to watch, but it seems like the first hatchers like to play soccer with the others. Unless they are constantly getting rolled all over the place, I would leave them. They will be fine

Last edited:

Egghead_Jr

Crowing
10 Years
Oct 16, 2010
NEK, VT
Leave it. If your going to open to fix you might as well take out the chicks.

There are two schools of preference when dealing with hatched chicks. One is to keep your hands off until they all hatch then remove to brooder. I'm in the other school and prefer to keep my humidity down, never let it exceed 75% and prefer 65%. To do that I've got to open a side of the incubator to release some moisture. Not for long but long enough to grab hatchlings before they completely dry but have balance and are active.

I've encountered problems allowing the humidity to run it's course and soar up to 80%. The interior of eggs get sticky resulting in the late hatches having trouble moving in shell and having to wash them in warm water to get all the paste off them so they fluff up and don't have paste over vents.

Top Bottom