hatched chick whos who

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by naightengale, Aug 15, 2013.

1. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    ok so im asking alot of questions but thats how you learn right..

ok so my question is i have brahmas and EE and several others if i put in a mixed bacth of eggs (even if i lable the eggs as to whos who.. once they hatch how do in know which breeds are which?? im certain theres gona be differences and simularitys and om just the person to mess it up...i mean ive seen several EE that look a awfull lot like brahmas.. and so on and so forth..

how do i keep from getting lost with out totally doing everything seperate by breed?? my chickens are all ready segragated will i have to seperate incubating and brooding too??

right now i have 12 rir eggs and 7 sexlink\brownleghorn(poss polish) eggs waiting for bator to regulate. these will all go in one pen when done anyway as layers (roos will be soup) but the others i still need to build the flock so will want them known...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You could put small plastic baskets or some kind of divider in the incubator (if you have enough space), to keep the different breeds's eggs separate. And the chicks after they've hatched. Once they've hatched you can fit small leg bands on the chicks if they look similar, so you can tell them apart.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by