Hatched chick with Lump on head.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Smelly2005au, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Smelly2005au

Smelly2005au Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2013
    Hi everyone im new here, I joined as i tried to search what this is .. And so far i have come up empty ! my chick has just hatched out, and seems ok, i dont have high hopes for it but i do want to try. and hope its ok, This lump pictured below ... Was what was on its head when it come out of the shell .. it was the first thing i noticed. Wondering if anyone has ever seen this or had this happen,

Please help ..
    Thanks
    Smelly.
    [​IMG]
    Its not on the top of the head rather more to the rear of the head,
    [​IMG]
    This is not good is it :( so upsetting to see this ...

2. Smelly2005au

Jan 23, 2013
    update this morning, This little fella as it would seem cannot get up, he isnt up and about 2 chicks before him and 1 that hatched after him are all up and about just like they should be. But this little fellow it really doesnt look great for him ;( They are rhode island red chicks. He seems to be the only one with problems. the lump looks the same no change there.

3. RMo2

RMo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    I am sorry your chick is not well. I do not know what is wrong either :( sorry I do not have any advice to offer!

4. RMo2

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    I am a sonographer (ultrasound tech) and got to thinking about this a bit more-- relating this to what I see in human babies via ultrasound. I have no evidence to really support this, but maybe the chick has a spinal defect like spina bifida? You mentioned the chick cannot get up and walk, which could go along with this idea, though in a human, if spina bifida was that high on the body many more body functions beyond just walking would be affected.

If it is on the skull it could also be something like an encephalocele?

Can you see anything protruding into the cystic structure on the back of the head? Any other symptoms?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  5. Smelly2005au

Jan 23, 2013
    No I cannot see anything, he is able to move his legs and wings, sort of leans real forward when I hold him on his feet, but just topples over back onto his side, I have decided to cull him, as I do not think there is anything I can do for him, and eventually he will starve to death, everything looks good just the lump, I was searching on the web all day I did find that if the skull isn't formed properly that it can show their brain, but again I really can't see anything in or around the bubble, except its more pink nearer to his head.

6. RMo2

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    I'm sorry. [​IMG]

7. Smelly2005au

Jan 23, 2013
    Its ok, I couldn't see him suffer more. i just hope that i dont see if again :(

8. Megan8607

Megan8607 New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Glad I found this-one of my chicks hatched today and has this same exact thing going on. What a bummer. His beak is also not fully formed. :( Poor thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by