Hatched chicks, mareks, vaccinations????

Intheswamp

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 25, 2009
South Alabama
I'm planning on hatching my chicks to start my flock, should I vaccinate my day-olds for Marek's disease? If I should, are there online sources for the vaccine?

The reason that I'm curious about this is that there are several large broiler farms within about 2-3 air-miles of me along with a couple of commercial layer houses a little further away. Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Ed

To vax or not to vax...that is the question.

The subject can really be quite a can o' worms 'round these parts, but I usually vaccinate for Marek's (or have the hatchery do it, in the case of hatchery peeps).

Y'might try Randall Burkey, I believe they sell it. If you're lucky, a local feed store just might carry/order some. Maybe even a vet could hook you up, if (s)he is cool enough.

Good luck!

Yes, vaccinations can be a can'o-worms...even for us humans. After checking around a bit I've got at least 1 breeder farm (2-houses), a couple of layer houses, and probably a couple of dozen broiler houses within a 3-4 miles.

I think I'd feel better vaccinating. I'll have to dig a bit deeper in the well for some more info.

Thanks for the feedback!
Ed

Marek's is everywhere, most birds become exposed to it at some time. The vaccine will only prevent them from developing the fatal complications of the disease (neural lesions and tumors).

Having said that, I am vaccinating. Most of my birds are for exhibition and it's a jungle out there.

Jeffer's is the cheapest for Mareks. First State Poultry has the best selection of vaccines for chickens otherwise.

I thought this was a very good article discussing vaccinating decisions for a small flock: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS030

Best
of luck with your flock.

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Ryu. I figure with the local poultry population that I'd be better off going ahead and vaccinating. Alabama has a fairly large poultry industry...matter of fact, it is what has saved many a farmer from "going under".

Have you got a link to Jeffer's?

Thanks,
Ed

Quote:
Howdy CarriBrown. Thanks for the info on vaccinating for Marek's. In regards to administering the actual shot I'm invisioning pulling the skin on the back of the neck and barely inserting the needle into the tiny "tent" that is formed by the stretched skin. Is that close to how it's done.

I had a bit of a problem finding First State. It looks like they've changed their address from what you have on your page. The link I found that takes me there is http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/ . I just thought I'd mention it so you could look into it.

Thanks again for the info and source. I definitely can use *all* the help that I can get!
smile.png

Ed

Jeffers: http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=2&mscssid=NFV4LF0VNBGU8G3R22B0M8WLGK0GA9B0

I'd
follow the directions exactly as they come with the vaccine.

I use and acohol swap to wet the fluff. When you pick up on the neck skin, there is usually a big vein running down the back it will be blue, you want to avoid that. A good injection will form a small blister looking bump under the skin.

I use 25 gauge needles and 1ml syringes. Anything larger than 25G and you have to go a little deeper to keep the vaccine from following the needle back out.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom