Hatched Crippled Chick: Now What?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by countyroad1330, Mar 5, 2008.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I've helped chicks hatch before, but this one acts like its left side is completely useless. It does have movement in that side, but just lays on it and spins in circles. It won't eat or drink. When I pick it up to try to feed it, it starts hiccupping. Is there any chance of this little one making it? What should I do?

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Doubtful, give it a couple of days to see, but you are probably best to cull it out. JMO Also, chicks don't need to eat or drink for the first few days, they are still living off the yolk. Good luck!

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I just had one hatch do that and I taped it's legs together and put it in a small container so that it sat upright for most of the time. Then I went out and bought more of the rubber shelf liner yesterday and lined a shoe box with it. I took the tape off it's legs yesterday and placed it in the shoe box with in a hour it was up and walking around like normal. So don't give up on it yet it might just need a little more time. Mine was the last to hatch and it took it's own sweet time so maybe that had something to do with it being in the shell for so long.

4. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Thank you for the encouragement, Poison Ivy. Sadly, the poor little one didn't make it. [​IMG] I hand-hatched one like this this summer, but after a few hours it was up on its own. I will remember the taping thing if there is a next time. Thanks again guys. [​IMG]

5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Sorry to hear that I was hoping it would make it. Mine is doing great today and running around with the rest of it's hatch mates.
    Here is a picture of my little one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by